Bristol University student given 18 month ban after drink driving at Newtown McDonald’s

He tested at 64mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath, double the legal limit

A Bristol university student has been banned from driving after he drunk drove his car, with two flat tyres, at Newtown’s McDonald’s.  

Harry King, 23, pleaded guilty to being close to double the legal alcohol limit after approaching police officers in the fast-food establishment in the early hours of September 8th.

This comes after he had been sighted driving around with two flat tyres and hitting the curb in the car park, as reported by CPS prosecutor Helen Trench.

He then left the car and went into the restaurant, visibly drunk and noticed by staff, The Country Times reports

The police arrived, and King admitted to having drunk three ciders and being intoxicated, yet explained he drove into the car park only to receive help with the tyres.

His successive roadside test exposed 64mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath, nearly twice the legal limit of 35.

Defendant Owain Jones has told Magistrate Stephen Pembroke his client is “deeply remorseful.”

He said his client “is a young man with previous good character and he is ashamed of his actions and takes full responsibility.

“You will be concerned by the flat tyres but there had been no accident prior to this incident.

“He is studying business at Bristol University and there are great expenses with that.

“He has a zero-hours contract agency and travels to venues to work so a ban will greatly reduce that level of employment.”

Jones relayed his client is studying business at the University of Bristol, as well as having a zero-hours contract agency, so a driving ban would greatly hinder both his studies and employment.

Jones also handed a letter of apology to the bench on behalf of the Bristol student, which Magistrate Pembroke thanked alongside King’s early guilty plea.

The incident has caused King a fine of £250, as well as a £100 victim surcharge and £85 worth of costs. He was also given an 18-month driving ban, yet completion of a drink-driving rehabilitation course by October 2025 will allow him to drive again two months later.

If not, his ban will continue until April 2026.

Recommended related articles by this author:

Featured image via Google Maps.