Bristol University confirms that a second year physicist died this week

The university are encouraging those who need help to come forward

Hide Images

Bristol University today confirmed that a second year physics student died suddenly on Monday.

An email to all of the student's peers was sent early this morning. Second year physicists were informed that the university had been told by the student's family about "the sudden and unexpected death", with those affected being encouraged to speak to their personal tutors or the relevant university services.

The death is the second to have occurred at Bristol within a fortnight. In a statement, a university spokesman said that their thoughts were with the deceased student's family, who were requesting privacy at the current time.

"We are deeply saddened by this tragic news and encourage any students or staff who are affected to contact University wellbeing services for help as well as seek support from friends or family. Information about the support available can be found on our website under our staff and student pages.

"Sadly, this is the second death in a short period of time and the University is doing everything we can to support all those affected by these deaths. We are not aware of any suspicious circumstances surrounding her death and the Coroner will hold an inquest in due course."

If you are experiencing any kind of mental health issue which you believe is causing you dangerous levels of stress – please, do not suffer alone. The help is ready and available for those who require it.

If you wish to get help, a list of all the Bristol services open to students can be found here.

Samaritans have an invaluable helpline- 116 123- that is open 24/7. Their website can be found here.

Whilst The Tab were informed of the student's identity, out of respect for their friends and family we have declined to name them here.