Second year economics student confirmed dead by Bristol University

The university are encouraging those who need help to come forward

Hide Images

Bristol University have confirmed the "sudden and unexpected death" of a second year economics student studying at UoB, following an email sent yesterday to the coursemates of the deceased student.

A University of Bristol spokesperson said that the institution had spoken to the family of the student, who were requesting privacy "at this difficult time".

In a statement to The Tab the spokesperson commented: "We are not aware of any suspicious circumstances surrounding her death and the Coroner will hold an inquest in due course."

"It is immensely distressing for members of our University community to learn that one of our students has died. If students or staff are affected by this tragic news, we would encourage them to contact University support services as well as seek support from friends or family. Information about where to get help can be found on our website under staff and student pages."

If you are experiencing any kind of mental health issue which you believe is causing you dangerous levels of stress – please, do not suffer alone. The help is ready and available for those who require it.

If you are experiencing mental health problems and wish to get help, a list of all the Bristol services open to students can be found here.

Samaritans have an invaluable helpline- 116 123- that is open 24/7. Their website can be found here. Nightline can also be contacted on 01179 266 266.

Whilst The Tab were informed of the student's identity, out of respect for her friends and family we have declined to name her here.