sophie turner joe jonas divorce children bad mother custody joan itv

Sophie Turner just addressed *those* tabloid stories calling her a bad mother amid Joe Jonas divorce

‘Mothers are judged for anything they do outside of motherhood’

When Sophie Turner shook the world of pop culture last year by announcing her divorce from Joe Jonas, the media was quick to speculate about their children. Sophie Turner was photographed in Birmingham at the wrap party for her new show Joan. Tabloids and social media users inevitably declared that she was a wild party girl and a neglectful mother because she’d dared attend a work event. Sophie Turner has addressed rumours that she was neglecting her children after her divorce in a new interview with The Sunday Times.

Joe Jonas and Sophie Tuner got married in Las Vegas in 2019. They have two daughters together – Willa (age four) and Delphine (age two). Sophie Turner allegedly found out her husband was divorcing her because she read about it in the tabloids. The couple officially announced they were getting a divorce in September 2023. The custody battle over the kids was very messy. Sophie Turner ended up trying to sue Joe Jonas to get their children back from his home in New York. The lawsuit claimed Joe Jonas held back the children’s passports so they couldn’t fly to the UK to see her.

She said: “There’s so much shame that comes with motherhood. “You go to work, you’re shamed. If you don’t go to work, you’re shamed.”

Sophie Turner revealed she struggled in the era in the autumn of 2023 when her kids were in the US with Joe Jonas, she was filming Joan in the UK, and the media was dragging her. A friendly crew member from Joan really helped her. “She ended up staying with me at mine, because I didn’t want to be alone. The crew really held me through it, and I didn’t ever come home alone at the end of the day.”

The actress explained that she felt some of her recent experiences were parallel to her character in Joan. Sophie plays a glamorous but controversial jewel thief who leaves her toxic husband, then struggles to get her young daughter back home to her.

“If I hadn’t been a mother, I don’t know if I would have been able to bring the same energy that I did into it. It’s such a struggle being a single mother.

“Joan doesn’t go about it in the best way … but it is amazing to see her really fighting for her daughter. It’s also really important for kids to see just how hard parents work for them.”

sophie turner joe jonas divorce children joan itv

Sophie Turner slaying in her new ITV crime drama Joan
(Image via ITV)

Sophie Turner feels there is a double standard for male and female criminal characters in TV shows. Female characters are expected to be likeable in the way that male characters aren’t. Audiences are more of women who have children.

“Mothers are judged for anything they do outside of motherhood. So if that ends up being crime, my goodness, the amount of judgment is heightened tenfold.” What a line.

Fear not, Sophie Turner did also say she’s much happier now than she was last year. What a relief. She’s going to be in loads of exciting TV shows and films, and she’s dating a millionaire British aristocrat called Peregrine Pearson who sounds like the romantic lead from a period drama.

She said, “I’m with my friends; I’m with my family; I’m eating good chocolate. I am thrilled.” We love that for her.

Feature image: Sophie Turner in Joan, via ITV