Modern Family cast transformations

The biggest Modern Family cast transformations from the first to last episode of the show

I’ve never felt more emotional

Modern Family ended in 2020 after 11 incredible seasons, during which we got to see both the cast and characters grow up in front of our eyes, showcasing some major transformations. And if you’re a fan of the show, you’re in luck as it’s rumoured there could be a reboot or spinoff show surrounding Cam and Mitch’s life in Missouri in the works!

Some cast members such as Aubrey who played Lily were literally toddlers when they joined the cast and with Modern Family being filmed over the course of 11 years it’s led to a lot of the characters looking quite different by the end. So, let’s take a trip down memory lane and compare the shocking Modern Family cast transformations from the first to the last episode of the show.

Ty Burrel as Phil Dunphy

Via Disney

Ty Burrel played the world’s most loveable dad in Modern Family and was 42 during the first episode, and 53 when the show finally ended. Out of all the Modern Family cast transformations his has to be the one that gets me the most emotional.

Julie Bowen as Claire Dunphy

Via Disney

Julie Bowen plays Claire Dunphy and was 39 when she started the role, ending the final episode on 50 and honestly, she looks flawless.

Nolan Gould as Luke Dunphy

Via Disney

Little Nolan was only 11 years old when he first started playing Luke on Modern Family and I genuinely might sob at how small and adorable he was during the first episode. By the time he finished the show, Nolan was 22 and looked like a fully-fledged adult, and my heart cannot deal with it.

Ariel Winter as Alex Dunphy

Via Disney

Ariel Winter was also just 11 in episode one and 22 when she finished the show. We got to see her go from a literal child to a teenager and young adult in front of our eyes and she looked absolutely stunning throughout the process. Quite obsessed.

Sarah Hyland as Haley Dunphy

Via Disney

19 year old Sarah Hyland joined the cast of Modern Family in the first episode and was a pivotal part of the show, leaving the show when she was 30. Whilst in real life she doesn’t have any twins, she did recently get married and of course, the whole cast was in attendance!

Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitch Pritchett

Via Disney

Jesse was 34 in the pilot episode and 45 in the final episode and to be honest he hasn’t really changed a lot and has managed to keep all his hair – quite a feat!

Eric Stonestreet as Cameron Tucker

Modern Family cast transformations

Via Disney

The extroverted Cameron Tucker was played by Eric Stonestreet who was 38 at the start of filming and 49 by the end. Aside from going grey, he looked pretty much identical and even his love for a plaid button down shirt never goes away.

Aubrey Anderson-Emmons as Lily Tucker-Pritchett

Modern Family cast transformations

Via Disney

The youngest cast member to join the show, Aubrey was only four year old when she started and 15 by the time the show came to its conclusion. She’s spoken about how it was odd growing up on set, and how she’d have school with some of the other cast members.

Sofía Vergara as Gloria Delgado-Pritchett

Modern Family cast transformations

Via Disney

Sofia has without a doubt found the fountain of youth because how was this woman almost 50 by the end of season 11 of Modern Family? She genuinely looks so stunning throughout the whole show and if anything her hair, makeup and fashion only improves as she gets older in the series.

Ed O’Neill as Jay Pritchett

Modern Family cast transformations

Via Disney

Ed was already older than the rest of the cast in the first episode, being 63 at the time of filming and 74 when it finished. It’s the type of transformation that doesn’t look drastic but going back to the first episode after watching the last one is pretty shocking!

Rico Rodriguez as Manny Pritchett

Modern Family cast transformations

Via Disney

Rico was also 11 when the series started and 22 when it ended, meaning he got to grow up at the same time as Nolan and Ariel which is very wholesome.

Jeremy Maguire as Joe Pritchett

Modern Family cast transformations

Via Disney

Jeremy was also only 4 when he started in his role, although by that point the show was no longer in its first season meaning we did get to see him grow up but to a lesser extent than the other characters.

Reid Ewing as Dylan Marshall

Modern Family cast transformations

Via Disney

Dylan had to be one of the most chaotic characters featured throughout the show and you cannot tell me this man has had any sort of major transformation, not even much of an emotional one. How the hair managed to stay the exact same throughout 11 seasons truly is beyond me.

Related stories recommended by this writer

• 13 years since it first aired, here’s what the Modern Family cast are up to now

Omg, there are some major clues a Modern Family reboot might be in the works

• QUIZ: Which Modern Family household do you belong in?

Featured images credit via Disney.