Baby Reindeer Jessica Gunning

Baby Reindeer’s Jessica Gunning has spoken out about people trying to find the real Martha

‘I think it’s a real, real shame, because it shows that they haven’t watched the show properly’

Jessica Gunning, who plays Martha in Baby Reindeer, has spoken out about people trying to track down the real Martha and “urges people not to be doing that” as it misses the point of the show.

People on social media have been hunting the real Martha down, thinking they have found her Facebook account and have even speculated about who the real Darrien O’Connor might be, bringing attention to both of them and causing a man falsely accused of being Darrien to launch a police investigation. 

Now in an interview with Glamour, Jessica Gunning revealed she “didn’t know that was happening,” until Richard Gadd released a statement urging people not to speculate about the real people.

“I would urge people not to be doing that,” she said. “I think if that is happening, I think it’s a real, real shame, because it shows that they haven’t watched the show properly. That’s not the point of it in any way.”

Baby Reindeer Jessica Gunning

Via Instagram

“Netflix and Richard went to extreme lengths to try and make sure that the identities were kept private for a reason.”

Jessica urged the people in question to “try and watch the show again, and really see what the point of it was”, because “it definitely wasn’t that”.

“I deliberately didn’t want to do an impersonation of somebody,” she insisted. “I wanted to do an interpretation of this character.”

In a statement on Instagram, Richard Gadd urged people not to hunt for the real characters. He wrote: “Hi everyone, people I love, have worked with, and admire (including Sean Foley) are unfairly getting caught up in speculation. Please don’t speculate on who any of the real life people could be. That’s not the point of our show.”

Baby Reindeer is available on Netflix now. For more like this and all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.