This Is Us episodes

Get ready to sob – these are the saddest This Is Us episodes of all time

My heart hurts

If you’ve ever found yourself reaching for the tissues while watching This Is Us, you’re not alone. The NBC drama has become synonymous with tear-jerking episodes that leave viewers emotionally drained yet strangely fulfilled.

Whether it’s the heart-warming family dynamics, the relatable struggles, or the unexpected twists, This Is Us knows how to tug at the heartstrings like no other show. So, just to kick you in the gut one more time, here are the top five saddest episodes of This Is Us for a good cry sesh:

5. Our Little Island Girl (Season 3, Episode 13)

Kicking off This Is Us’ saddest episodes is Beth’s backstory, which hits us right in the feels. We see her dream of becoming a dancer crushed after her father’s death, and her strained relationship with her mother adds another layer of heartache. But watching Beth confront her mother and reclaim her dreams? It’s both empowering and tear-jerking. Beth’s strength is awe-inspiring. This episode reminds us that it’s never too late to chase our dreams, no matter what life throws our way.

4. Number One (Season 2, Episode 8)

Kevin’s battle with addiction takes centre stage in this raw and honest portrayal of his struggles. Justin Hartley’s performance is nothing short of remarkable as we witness Kevin’s downward spiral and the heart-wrenching moment he realizes he’s lost his father’s necklace. Addiction is a tough subject, and this episode doesn’t shy away from showing its devastating effects. It’s a wake-up call for Kevin and viewers.

3. The Train (Season 6, Episode 17)

This Is Us episodes
As Rebecca’s health deteriorates, the Pearson family gathers to bid her farewell. The emotional weight of their final moments together, coupled with Rebecca’s journey on a vintage train encountering figures from her past, makes for an unforgettable episode that’ll leave you reaching for a hug. The episode is a super powerful reminder of the impact she’s had on everyone around her.

2. Memphis (Season 1, Episode 16)

This Is Us episodes
Randall and William take a trip to William’s old hometown, Memphis. Their bond is beautiful, but when William passes away with Randall by his side, it’s a tear-soaked farewell you won’t forget. Randall’s journey to find his roots is beautiful and heartbreaking all at once. Pass me another tissue, please.

1. Super Bowl Sunday (Season 2, Episode 14)

This Is Us episodes
This episode finally reveals how Jack Pearson meets his heartbreaking end. As we witness the Pearson house go up in flames, the emotional gut punch comes when we see Mandy Moore’s heart-wrenching portrayal of Rebecca’s devastation upon learning of Jack’s death. It’s a moment that’ll stay with you long after the credits roll. Seriously, stock up on tissues. You’ll need them. Mandy Moore deserves all the awards for her performance here.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Featured image credit via NBC