Gypsy Rose dad

Inside Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s relationship with her dad that made her husband ‘jealous’

Gypsy’s husband Ryan was allegedly unhappy with all the time she spent with her dad

Last week, everyone was shocked when Gypsy Rose Blanchard announced her separation from her husband, Ryan Anderson, just three months after leaving prison.

Well, everyone apart from her Dad, Rod Blanchard, who is reportedly “not surprised” at their split after he only ever gave their relationship a “50/50 chance” of working.

But today it has also come out that one of the reasons behind Gypsy and Ryan’s split is allegedly due to Ryan’s “jealousy” with her relationship with her dad. TMZ reported that Gyspy feels like Ryan made her feel guilty about spending time with her dad and not with him.

Sources also told TMZ that Gypsy’s husband had allegedly become “super argumentative” since she left prison and was constantly making her feel like she couldn’t do anything right. Yikes!

So, who is Rod Blanchard, Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s dad and what is their relationship which was making her husband jealous like?

He met Dee Dee Blanchard in high school

Rod and Dee Dee, Gypsy Rose’s late mother, first met when he was in school and they dated for around six months. He was 17 at the time and Dee Dee was 24.

He had Gypsy Rose when he was 18

Gypsy Rose dad

Via The Blanchard family

When Dee Dee got pregnant they decided to get married and he had Gypsy Rose when he was 18. But speaking with Buzzfeed, Rod said his marriage to Dee Dee was quickly deteriorating. He said: “I woke up on my birthday, on my 18th birthday, and realised I wasn’t where I was supposed to be. I wasn’t in love with her, really. I knew I got married for the wrong reasons.”

He has spoken about how little he knew about Gypsy’s childhood

As Dee Dee had primary custody of Gypsy, Rod was largely in the dark about Dee Dee’s abuse. Speaking with Buzzfeed News, Rod shared how when Gypsy was three months old, Dee Dee became convinced that the child had sleep apnea, and her convictions about Gypsy’s illnesses spiralled as time went on.

Rod stayed in close contact with Gypsy until she was about 10 years old until they moved away and Dee Dee began to lie about Gypsy’s true age. Rod recalled one instance when he called Gypsy on her 18th birthday, hoping to make “dad jokes” about his daughter becoming an adult when Dee Dee interrupted him and said Gypsy “thinks she’s 14.”

“I think Dee Dee’s problem was she started a web of lies, and there was no escaping after,” he said.

“She got so wound up in it, it was like a tornado got started, and then once she was in so deep that there was no escaping. One lie had to cover another lie, had to cover another lie, and that was her way of life.”

Via HBO

Speaking with PEOPLE ahead of her release from prison in December, Gypsy spoke about how Dee Dee created distance between her and her father, which is why she never went to her dad about the abuse.

“I just didn’t think he would care because my mother had created that distance there, and she would say so many bad things about him behind his back,” she said.

“And to me, just telling my head with stories that were troubling, and I felt like he was not a source to go to, not that I even knew his phone number because I didn’t know his address. So that never crossed my mind. It was kind of like, I’m not going to reach out to him because why would he care?”

He stayed in contact with Gypsy Rose in prison

Only after Dee Dee’s death did Rod learn the truth about how Gypsy was a victim of Munchausen by proxy. In the HBO documentary Mommy Dead and Dearest he spoke about his opinion on what Gypsy did: “Yeah, it’s wrong, and there were other options that Gypsy had — which she tried some of those avenues and they didn’t work out,” Rod said. “Bad as it sounds, she asked for what she got.”

As Gypsy spent her years in prison, Rod kept in touch with her and rebuilt their relationship. “She’ll always have a home here,” Rod told PEOPLE in 2017. “We’ll put her on the right path.”

After he divorced Dee Dee he got remarried and had two more kids

Gypsy Rose dad

Via Instagram

After his divorce from Dee Dee, Gypsy’s dad got remarried to his current wife Kirsty who is also very close with Gypsy. They had two more kids together, including Gypsy’s stepsister Mia whom Gypsy has posted lots of pictures with. His son Dylan prefers to keep his life private.

She’s now moved in with him

Gypsy Rose spent both Christmas and New Year with her dad and his family straight after her release but is now moving back in with them now she has split from her husband. Announcing the split from her husband, Gypsy said: “People have been asking what is going on in my life. Unfortunately, my husband and I are going through a separation and I moved in with my parents home down the bayou.

“I have the support of my family and friends to help guide me through this. I am learning to listen to my heart. Right now I need time to let myself find who I am.”