John Lewis Christmas advert 2023

Guys, the John Lewis Christmas advert is FINALLY here – but it’s a big flop

Where’s the cheesy cover song at?

The John Lewis Christmas advert 2023 is out today, but a lot of people are saying it’s the worst one yet. Awkward.

Featuring Snapper the Venus Flytrap, this year’s John Lewis ad follows Alfie who accidentally grows a Venus flytrap instead of a Christmas tree.

Breaking from tradition this year’s ad isn’t a tearjerking cover but an original song called “Festa” written for the advert and sung by opera artist Andrea Bocelli.

Watch the John Lewis Christmas advert 2023 here:

If you can’t be bothered to watch, basically it follows Alfie, a little boy who buys a seed to grow the “perfect Christmas tree” which turns out to be a Venus flytrap instead. The flytrap, called Snapper, grows too big for the living room and is dragged outside into the cold. Then on Christmas day, Alfie goes outside to give Snapper a present and the whole family follows, bringing their presents. Snapper opens all the presents and showers them all with confetti.

Not one to make you laugh or cry really, people are kind of underwhelmed by this year’s advert:

Explaining the sentiment behind the advert, Charlotte Lock, Customer Director for John Lewis, said: “We are a nation that loves the traditions of Christmas – from classic traditions like pantos and putting up the tree to evolving new ones like crafting our own presents and Zoom get-togethers. Many of us have our own unique festive traditions and that makes them even more special.”

“The film celebrates themes of family and evolving traditions and shows that a ‘perfect’ Christmas is finding joy together with loved ones, whatever your traditions.”

And of course, John Lewis is now selling teddy Snappers for £18 as well at tote bags and baubles.