Selena Gomez Israel Palestine Gaza backlash

Selena Gomez threatens to delete Instagram after backlash over Gaza posts

‘I’m done’

Selena Gomez has threatened to delete her Instagram altogether after receiving backlash over her “tone-deaf” story posts about what’s happening in Gaza, which critics have said were “self-absorbed’ earlier this week.

“I’m taking a break and deleting my Instagram. I’m done. I don’t support any of what’s going on” Selena wrote on her Instagram story yesterday in reaction to the backlash, which accused her of making the situation in the Middle East about herself.

Earlier this week, Selena posted an Instagram story explaining she was going to take a break from Instagram because it was heartbreaking to “see all of the horror, hate, violence and terror that’s going on in the world.” She went on to apologise if “her words will never be enough for everyone or a hashtag.”

Fans were particularly angry with the last few sentences in her story in which she wrote, “I wish I could change the world. But a post won’t.” Followers felt like Selena was “downplaying her massive following and being hypocritical,” as well as making the situation in Gaza “all about herself.”

“I’ve received multiple emails saying that i’ve changed people’s perspectives,” wrote one person with an account with 800k followers across their platforms. “Anyone saying their posts mean nothing is lying. Selena Gomez,” they claimed.

“Someone tells Selena Gomez that this isn’t about her, but about little kids, men, and women who have been suffering for years,” added another person on Twitter. 

Selena Gomez is currently the most followed woman on Instagram with 410 million followers. Fans have also been commenting on Selena’s posts reminding her that she has been a UNICEF ambassador since 2009, and her role is described on UNICEF’s website as “advocating for the world’s most vulnerable children by participating in numerous campaigns, events, and initiatives on behalf of the UNICEF USA.”

Since the second round of backlash, Selena has deleted the story claiming she was going to delete her Instagram account and hasn’t posted since.