charli xcx rina sawayama drama

Right, here’s exactly what is going on between Charli XCX, Rina Sawayama and Matty Healy

They’re going AT IT

Whether you’re willing to admit it or not, we all unashamedly (or shamefully) love a bit of celeb drama. You might think you’re above it but still you find yourself endlessly scrolling through Twitter, reading receipts and theories of the petty ongoings between two people who mean nothing to you. Well, the next celeb drama to make your business is the apparent feud between Charli XCX and Rina Sawayama.

Fans think the two pop girlies are going at it and are absolutely convinced that it’s got something to do with Matty Healy, because of course it does. Why does that man manage to worm himself into everywhere? Here’s a break down of the ongoing drama between Rina Sawayama and Charli XCX, and how Matty Healy is said to be involved:

Rina Sawayama called out Matty Healy for making racist comments

Right, the first thing to know is that Matty Healy was appointed as Director of the music label Dirty Hit Ltd. in 2018 and the following year Rina was signed by Dirty Hit, so their connection goes way back.

At the time, Rina gushed about how supportive Matty was, especially about her hit song STFU!, telling NME: “Matty had already heard the new single. He heard it maybe two months ago or something, and he was just was texting me loads of stuff, being like, ‘Fuck! This is amazing’ — just being super supportive. So that’s been incredible.”

However, at Glastonbury this year, Rina made it clear during her set that her feelings towards Matty had done a 180. Back in February, Matty appeared on The Adam Friedland Show podcast during which Ice Spice was referred to as “one of the Inuit Spice Girls,” a “chubby Chinese lady,” and “a fucking Eskimo.”

During the podcast, multiple accents were also mocked, including Japanese, and Matty encouraged the others to imitate what a Japanese person working in a concentration camp would sound like. The backlash the episode faced eventually lead to its removal from both Spotify and Apple music. Shortly after, Matty Healy was removed as Director of Dirty Hit on Companies House.

Matty later apologised to Ice Spice whilst on tour, saying: “Ice Spice, I’m sorry. It’s not because I’m annoyed that me joking got misconstrued. It’s because I don’t want Ice Spice to think I’m a dick. I love you, Ice Spice. I’m so sorry.” 

Rina, who is Japanese and moved to London at age five, opened her song STFU! during her Glastonbury set, the same song Matty had previously praised, by saying: “I wrote this next song because I was sick and tired of these microaggressions.

“So tonight, this goes out to a white man that watches Ghetto Gaggers and mocks Asian people on a podcast. He also owns my masters. I’ve had enough!” 

Now Rina and Charli XCX are seemingly going at it as well

Now fans believe that Rina and Charli XCX are going at it as well after Charli unfollowed Rina this week. Rina and Charli had previously been in each other’s good books, having collaborated on the song Beg For You in 2022. Now along with unfollowing each other, fans also believe that Charli took a dig at Rina’s new song This Hell after Charli posted an Instagram with the caption: “Apparently, I’m going to hell”.

The main theory online is that this new drama between Rina and Charli is based on Rina’s ongoing with feud Matty Healy as Charli is in a relationship with 1975’s drummer George Daniel who is obviously friends with Matty.

For all the latest celebrity and entertainment news, gossip and memes, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook.

Every unhinged thing The 1975’s Matty Healy has done on tour so far

The 30 greatest Charli XCX songs of all time, ranked from iconic to life changing

All five albums by The 1975, definitively ranked from worst to best

Featured images via @rinasonline and charli_xcx on Instagram and Hyde News and Pictures/Shutterstock.