Shock, the government’s said it has ‘no intention’ to make specific anti-spiking strategy

Thousands of students reported being spiked this year at uni

The government has finally responded to recommendations it’s been given to tackle spiking – and said there is “no intention” for a “specific spiking strategy”.

In mid-October last year, The Tab found that at least 2,600 students and young people believe they had been spiked in the few weeks since the start of the university year – 11 per cent of over 23,000 respondents.

Yesterday, the Home Affairs Committee published the government’s response to the committee’s spiking report, which was published in April this year and made 12 recommendations to the government.

“There is currently no intention to publish a specific spiking strategy”, the government said.

However, it is intending on reviewing anti-spiking initiatives, as well as academic research into spiking, to “ensure that we are taking the best possible action to tackle this issue.”

There will be a final report into spiking in April 2023 (which will be over a year and a half since the first reports of spiking by injection began to emerge, in September 2021), and the government is hoping this report “will highlight this best practice and provide avenues for organisations to communicate and share tips and strategies”, instead of any specific strategy around spiking.

In September/October 2021, the government says “reports of needle spiking peaked” – this coinciding with the start of the uni year, and Freshers’ Weeks around the country.

The National Police Chiefs’ Council said there were 670 reports made to police across the country of spiking by injection, in term one of the last uni year alone.

Another recommendation from the Committee was for the government to launch an awareness campaign about spiking, to show perpetrators that it’s a crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison and “send a clear message that there is no acceptable defence for spiking”, as well as to encourage victims and venues•o report any incidents.

The government said it has “begun conversations” and is “exploring the opportunities for communications” in September and October – around Freshers’ Week, around the same time reported incidents began to peak last year.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story, please head to Drinkaware for more information on drink spiking. You can call Victim Support on 08 08 16 89 111 or find help via their website. If you’ve got a story you’d like to share with us, get in touch in confidence by emailing izzy@thetab.com