Tributes come flooding in for Mike Thalassitis, who has died aged 26

He’s been described as a ‘true gent’

Love Island 2017 contestant and semi-professional footballer, Mike Thalassitis, has died aged 26.

His body was found yesterday, in woodland near his hometown in Essex. Police have since confirmed he was found hanged in a park in Edmonton. His death is not being treated as suspicious.

Mike was a favourite on season three of Love Island back in 2017, and he also appeared on Celebs Go Dating in 2018. Fellow contestants from the shows have paid tribute to Mike, describing him as a "true gent" and a "genuine guy", whose death is a "heartbreaking loss".

Mike had picked up the stage name "Muggy Mike", after he coupled up with Olivia Attwood on Love Island. Olivia's ex, Chris Hughes, who appeared on the show with Mike, said: His name wasn’t Muggy Mike. Please stop brandishing that. His name was Mike Thalassitis, and every inch of my heart goes out to his family & friends. A good guy, taken far, far to soon."

Fellow islander Montana Brown also shared her tributes, saying she cannot believe why Mike didn't reach out to somebody.

She also added on her Instagram story that she is "heartbroken" by the news. She added: "This should never have happened to you. What a waste, I feel so helpless, I'd do anything to have you back".

Other islanders took to social media to share their respects.

View this post on Instagram

I’ve thought long and hard about what I want to say, I’ve woken up and unfortunately this wasn’t just a nightmare so this is to you Mr Thala. Firstly, I’m so angry at you for doing this because you are so loved by so many people and I just wish you picked up the phone so we could’ve sorted this out. This didn’t need to happen😭. Secondly, it annoys me that you were so misunderstood. “Muggy Mike” was your stage name and let’s face it, the ladies did fall at your feet BUT everyone had this impression of you and you were literally the opposite you were one of a kind. Mike, you were so thoughtful, caring and loyal to me and all your friends, you know some of my darkest secrets and I know yours. I could always rely on you to tell me when I’m being a nut job to Elliott and tell me to get off his case 😂 and I always told you to stop partying too much and getting too pissed😂🙈 I just wish people had a tiny glimpse of what the real you was like. You sent me a Christmas card in the post this year, you checked up on me everyday at the beginning of this year when I was struggling myself, you really were the kindest, sweetest person and I am so devastated and crushed that I’ll never get to see you again. Now I know you were in a dark place a few months back and I thought you were past it and that you were on the up. I got you to buy The Magic, you wrote down your gratitudes, you had the pictures of your family in your car to remind you to be grateful for them. I just don’t know how I didn’t notice… I am absolutely heart broken that I couldn’t help you. Your phone call a few days ago to tell me that I’m smashing the swimwear, you’re proud of me and that you’re grateful for my friendship is the only thing that’s keeping me going right now. At least you knew how much you meant to me. I will help open your cafe with Scott because you worked so hard on it so don’t you worry! I can’t imagine how much pain you must have been in to do this, and the fact that you went through this on your own breaks my heart. I’m so so sorry I couldn’t do more to help you. I have so much love for you Mike and I will never forget you. Sleep tight darling and I miss you so much already 💙

A post shared by M O N T A N A B R O W N (@montanarosebrown1) on

Friends Mike had made through his time on Celebs Go Dating also paid their respects to him.

Fans have also been sharing their respects for the reality star. Some took to Mike’s Instagram account to pay tribute, writing “Rest in peace” below his most recent posts.

The news of his death comes after his best friend passed away on Christmas Eve. Mike was also going through a tough break up with TOWIE star Megan McKenna.

There are also reports that he was grieving the recent passing of his grandmother. Dan Wooton, The Sun’s Executive Editor wrote: "She was 94 and he had moved in to live with her because she needed a full-time carer. He assured me he was fine and was excited about the launch of his shop. There was so much in store for his future that this is truly senseless."

Dan also posted a photo of him and Mike together, captioned: "Devastated to hear of the passing of Mike Thalassitis. He was a good man and this is an atrocious waste of a young life. I spoke to Mike (who loved that I would still call him Muggy) on Thursday. He was grieving the loss of his nan".