Image may contain: Wristwatch, Wrist, Face, Man, Hand, Human, Person

Tributes come flooding in for Mike Thalassitis, who has died aged 26

He’s been described as a ‘true gent’

Love Island 2017 contestant and semi-professional footballer, Mike Thalassitis, has died aged 26.

His body was found yesterday, in woodland near his hometown in Essex. Police have since confirmed he was found hanged in a park in Edmonton. His death is not being treated as suspicious.

Mike was a favourite on season three of Love Island back in 2017, and he also appeared on Celebs Go Dating in 2018. Fellow contestants from the shows have paid tribute to Mike, describing him as a "true gent" and a "genuine guy", whose death is a "heartbreaking loss".

Mike had picked up the stage name "Muggy Mike", after he coupled up with Olivia Attwood on Love Island. Olivia's ex, Chris Hughes, who appeared on the show with Mike, said: His name wasn’t Muggy Mike. Please stop brandishing that. His name was Mike Thalassitis, and every inch of my heart goes out to his family & friends. A good guy, taken far, far to soon."

Fellow islander Montana Brown also shared her tributes, saying she cannot believe why Mike didn't reach out to somebody.

She also added on her Instagram story that she is "heartbroken" by the news. She added: "This should never have happened to you. What a waste, I feel so helpless, I'd do anything to have you back".

Other islanders took to social media to share their respects.

Friends Mike had made through his time on Celebs Go Dating also paid their respects to him.

Fans have also been sharing their respects for the reality star. Some took to Mike’s Instagram account to pay tribute, writing “Rest in peace” below his most recent posts.

The news of his death comes after his best friend passed away on Christmas Eve. Mike was also going through a tough break up with TOWIE star Megan McKenna.

There are also reports that he was grieving the recent passing of his grandmother. Dan Wooton, The Sun’s Executive Editor wrote: "She was 94 and he had moved in to live with her because she needed a full-time carer. He assured me he was fine and was excited about the launch of his shop. There was so much in store for his future that this is truly senseless."

Dan also posted a photo of him and Mike together, captioned: "Devastated to hear of the passing of Mike Thalassitis. He was a good man and this is an atrocious waste of a young life. I spoke to Mike (who loved that I would still call him Muggy) on Thursday. He was grieving the loss of his nan".