We spoke to a student weed dealer who makes £15k a year

‘I make more money than my mum’

Selling drugs at university is an incredibly lucrative way of making your time there a lot more comfortable. With secluded halls and huge numbers of students wanting to buy drugs there’s a lot of money to be made. Weed is probably the most lucrative of them all. With drugs like MDMA and pills, dealers will make all of their money at the weekends or before big club nights, but with cannabis a dealer can expect a constant stream of business, and therefore income.

The Tab spoke to Andy, a weed dealer at UWE, who obviously wanted to keep his identity anonymous.

So, Andy, how much money do you roughly make in a week of selling weed?

“Selling weed in halls had its highs and lows, but most of the time it was £300ish each week. I think the biggest shock for me was when I clocked my income was more than my mum’s. Madness.”

How much of this was actual profit?

“It depends on how much you smoke, for me it was 30% most of the time.”

Do you “get high off your own supply”?

“Are you mad? Of course. If someone says they don’t, they’re 100% lying.  The only reason I started selling at uni was so I could get a free smoke, never really intended to make any money when I began, then it just got mad hectic all of sudden. Decided it made sense to quit my job, and ended up living like a king. Well it certainly felt like it.”

How much weed do you reckon you sell?

“In first year was pretty insane, reached an ounce a day and stayed there for most of the year. Big up campus!”

Jesus. What’s been your biggest single sale? 

“That’s a difficult thing to answer. After a while I got mad stressed about walking around bare and constantly being ‘on call’ with security and cctv everywhere. So I changed it – met the majority at two different times slots in the evening. Usually selling around £100-£200 per drop to several people waiting somewhere for me.

“At one point I had another seller from elsewhere buying his bits from me, which was pretty bless – selling two or three ounces at a time.”

Is university the best place to sell weed?

“Straight up. University is ideal because you’re a collection of people in a new environment where nobody knows you and you know nobody but yourselves, meaning there’s little to no risk factor. Another advantage is students have bare disposable income combined with no real adults or parents to think about getting caught.

“In saying that, campus security do cause stress. Once I was walking to meet people and their van pulled up no more than 10 meters ahead and security got out. Legit thought that was me done for. Being stoned at the time didn’t help either.

“You’ve also got people who’ve never tried weed before, but are keen to try new things, so the potential market is insane. Plus, buying from a fellow student is much easier than sourcing someone from the local area, I guess.”