Speedy reading: New app will help you finish an entire book in 90 minutes

by ,         on

Facebook Twitter

All nighters could soon be a thing of the past

A genius new app could revolutionise your degree by massively increasing your reading speed.

Spritz eliminates the time wasted moving your eyes from side to side, making reading much more efficient.

And its makers say they can help you read at up to 1000 words per minute – nine times the average normal speed.

At top speeds, Spritz readers could finish a typical novel in just an hour and a half.

Try it out here:

250 words per minute

250 words per minute

350 words per minute

350 words per minute

500 words per minute

500 words per minute

The app manipulates the format of the words to more appropriately line them up with the eye’s natural motion of reading.

The app rapidly flashes words onto the screen, making the Optimal Recognition Point (ORP) of the word red and presenting it in the same space each time.

This allows your brain to process each word much faster, bypassing the need to “decode” every word.

Reading text the old fashioned way requires several steps before the information is processed by your brain.

Fuck this

Fuck this

First, your eyes have to find the ORP of the word. Your brain then processes the meaning of the word and there is a pause as your eyes move to the next word. This pause is called a saccade.

Spritz’s new technology, which has been on super secret lockdown for three years, removes two of these three steps, making reading incredibly quick.

A spokesman for the company said: “When reading, only around 20% of your time is spent processing content. The remaining 80% is spent physically moving your eyes from word to word and scanning for the next ORP. With Spritz we help you get all that time back.”

This huge reduction in the amount of time spent reading will allow students to focus more on the important things, like reading The Tab or dwelling on how empty your life is.

Facebook Twitter
  • Nuff said


  • Henry Wilde, Cardiff

    Wow, who invited the cunt brigade?

  • Poly

    I’m sure you have a lot of experience in finishing in less than a minute.

The Tab is a network of 60 university news sites with thousands of student reporters

by , Sheffield Deputy Editor of The Tab on

Sheffield Third year donates bone marrow and then goes on a mad one to Pop Tarts

The marrow has now been used to save someone’s life

by , Chief Reporter on

We were scammed out of £500 after staying in a filthy Airbnb flat

There were pubes on the bedsheets

by , Tab reporter on

Exeter What was your biggest mistake during Freshers’?

‘Riding a bike around Rowancroft naked’

by , Chief Reporter on

Young Tory who was egged by protesters is a second year at Manchester

He was waving a picture of Margaret Thatcher

by , Edinburgh News Editor of The Tab on

Edinburgh It’s time to recognise St Andrews for what it really is – the most tragic uni in Scotland

Pompous, pretentious and utterly unbearable

by , Chief Reporter on

You will now be charged 5p for taking a carrier bag at the supermarket

The weekly shop just got even more expensive

by , Senior Tab reporter on

How not to fall in love with your flatmate

These things happen

By on

The definitive list of one night stands you’ll have this year

None of them will be that great

by , Senior Tab reporter on

This week’s best clubbers

Wow. You’ve really outdone yourselves