UC Berkeley’s craziest 2016 moments

Seriously, could it get anymore whack?

UC Berkeley seems to have seen it all in 2016: from the creation of UC Berkeley Memes for Edgy Teens Facebook page to killer clowns.

To be frank, we are 100% done with 2016.

‘Rest Zones’ came to campus

In April, $92,000 was awarded to the ASUC for the “REST: Relaxation Enhancing Study & Tranquility Zones” project. What could go wrong, with a convenient acronym like that?

Most people are too afraid to use them because they look suspiciously like hibernation tanks out of a sci-fi movie.

The rise of UC Berkeley Memes for Edgy Teens

2016 was the year we all became edgy teens and addicted to memes. The incredibly popular Facebook page seems to be increasingly dominated by memes depicting how students spend their time meme-surfing instead of facing their responsibilities.

Can you really blame us, though? They can be delightfully relevant and even mouth-droppingly targeted (talking about you, Chris Tril).

Jared Goff- first draft pick overall

UC Berkeley’s quarterback, Jared Goff, was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams.

In Goff we trust.

Dirks’s resignation

After being chancellor at UC Berkeley for only three years, Nicholas Dirks resigned in the wake of budget issues and criticisms of the university’s leniency with faculty sexual harassment claims.

He will forever remain a treasured meme-star and the (often unfortunate) subject of campus jokes.

Mourning for Harambe

Signs, graffiti, and even fraternity rush posters immortalized the cherished primate as the student body mourned together.

You might think his fame has faded- but every now and then, you can still catch his name written in exam answers, etched on VLSB bathroom stalls, and occasionally whispered to the wind as a prayer.

What did you do for Harambe?

Killer clowns?!

Seriously, 2016, could you get anymore whack? Killer clowns terrorized towns across the U.S. in September, finally arriving at UC Berkeley.

Yeah, no college pamphlet you received in high school could have prepared you for this one. What’s scarier- your final that’s worth 40% of your grade, or these terrifying clowns wielding knives?

The ban… and return… of Greek parties

After a series of reported sexual assualts, shootings, and concerns about campus safety, the Panhellenic Council and Inter-Fraternity Council decided to suspend future social events in October.

After a meeting, the councils reinstated social events with more strictly enforced rules.

Campus protests after the election

The night of the election saw protests in the streets near UC Berkeley campus on Telegraph. Cries of “Fuck Donald Trump” and “Not my president” could be heard all throughout the night.

Though they were non-violent, apparently someone was hit by a car (ouch!).

The day after, massive gatherings cropped up near campus, at the base of the Campanile, and in front of Sproul Hall.

Occupation at Sproul Hall

Everyone seemed to be on the move- many professors cancelled their classes, clubs and organizations offered various services and resources, and helicopters circled campus.

The loss of Pacific Cookie Company and Smart Alec’s

In November, the Berkeley community took a hard hit: both Smart Alec’s and Pacific Cookie Company closed.

Students still feel the emptiness that these two beloved establishments left. Perhaps some will be consoled by the new Taco Bell Cantina that will be opening up on Durant come 2017.

2017, we are ready for you (unless it is only going to usher in more closures of cherished restaurants and plain weirdness- then we will just have to find a way to freeze time).

UC Berkeley