Could you run The Tab? We’re recruiting for the next editor of Columbia’s newest student voice

Do you want to influence campus conversation and be trained by professional journalists? Apply to be Tab editor

Last semester The Tab reached over a million readers in the US – making us the biggest student reporting network in the country. 

Now we are looking for an Editor to run The Tab Columbia site – someone who can break big stories and coordinate a team of writers to produce original features and interviews.

We draw an audience at Columbia, and elsewhere, because we cover the issues readers care about, in a style they want to read. 

We have broken huge news stories which have been featured in The Washington Post, VICE and FOX News. The New York Times covered our story on a white student union Facebook scam, and our Dartmouth editor spoke to Stuart Varney live on FOX News about race protests. 

Our US network includes some of the best young writers and reporters in America.

Our Yale editor was at the party where members of the SAE frat had allegedly turned away guests from their Halloween party saying “white girls only”. She chose not to report the rumor until witnesses could be found, and then wrote a nuanced piece calling for the investigation to get to the bottom of it (in retrospect her stance seems wise).

Plainly put, I did not experience racism at SAE on Friday night. They weren’t operating a white-girls-only policy when I turned up (I’m a red-headed Asian and had no problem), and there was some racial diversity at the party, though not much.

But we don’t just do news. The Tab is an outlet for features and op-eds, and we publish everything from brave personal pieces to entertaining experience features

And we don’t take sides. During the campus protests in November one of our students wrote a brilliant piece highlighting the free speech implications of student calls for Erika Christakis to be sacked; another wrote an op-ed explaining how black women students felt liberated by the events of the preceding days.

Now we’re looking for a new editor who can take the reigns of the website which sets the agenda for Columbia students.

Not only does The Tab give you space to influence you readers and peers, it really does open doors for a career in journalism. Tab editors have gone on to work for VICE, Vogue, the Huffington Post, the Guardian, and the Daily Telegraph. Working closely with The Tab Columbia’s Assistant Editor you’ll get unrivalled one on one tuition. Our stories are covered internationally, and the best on campus editors are hired to work in our offices in London and New York. 

If you want to work in the media, editing The Tab is the best start you could ever get.

How to apply

Tab editors are responsible for managing a team of section editors and writers, and getting the best out of them. You will be commissioning pieces, helping to grow our Facebook page and inspiring and leading a team of some of the best young reporters in the country. 

If you think you’ve got what it takes to edit The Tab at Columbia this semester, email [email protected] telling us in 150 words why you should get the role. We’ll be back in touch.

Columbia University