UGA freshman ‘intentionally’ drives his car into Taco Bell, killing one and injuring four

‘I don’t think he was in his right frame of mind’

A freshman at the University of Georgia has been charged with murder after ploughing his car into a Taco Bell and killing a young woman.

Oliver Baylen Cope also faces criminal damage and four counts of aggravated assault.

Police say the 18-year-old Biology major drove his Dodge Challenger intentionally into the restaurant, leaving a 23-year-old woman dead and four people injured.

Oliver Baylen Cope

Oliver Baylen Cope

Swainsboro Police Chief Randy Ellison said the student drove his car into Taco Bell's dining area, right up to the front counter. Bystanders reportedly had to free a child pinned underneath his car by lifting it off the ground.

Macy Lynn Mullis, 23, died of her injuries.

Police say they still have "no idea" why the UGA student drove his car into the Taco Bell, but claimed the crash was on purpose. "I don't think he was in his right frame of mind," said Chief Ellison.

A toxicology report has yet to reveal if he was under the influence. Cope remains without bond in the Emanuel County Jail.

The investigation continues.