The story of Heather Campbell, the Ohio State senior killed in an apparent murder-suicide this weekend

‘This tragic loss defies understanding — we are heartbroken’

The day before Heather Campbell was murdered, her upstairs neighbors called 911 to report what they believed to be an incident of domestic violence.

According to The Columbus Dispatch, a woman called the police early Saturday morning to alert them of "extreme arguing" and "loud banging," at 5001 Olentangy River Road. She said it sounded "like domestic violence."

The woman and her boyfriend were about to go downstairs when they heard three gunshots. Police arrived on the scene that night but did not enter the apartment, according to reports.

They knocked on the door and were met with silence. The Dispatch reports the police left the scene and closed the initial case around 3am.

No more than 24 hours later, police returned to the same first floor apartment at Taylor House Luxury Community in Columbus, Ohio when they found Heather Campbell and Kyle Lafferty lying on the kitchen floor with gunshot wounds, both deceased.

Heather Campbell pictured with Kyle Lafferty,

This time police were responding to a different 911 call made by a close friend of Heather's. The unnamed friend became concerned for Heather when she stopped responding to phone calls the day prior, according to The Lantern.

"I just walked into my best friend’s apartment and her and her boyfriend are laying on the kitchen floor dead and bleeding," the friend said in a panicked 911 call. "I refuse to go back in there."

Exactly what happened inside that apartment is unclear, but police investigations indicate that Lafferty shot his girlfriend before turning the gun on himself, in what they're calling a sinister murder-suicide.

We know the couple had argued the night Lafferty took both of their lives, but it is unclear what they were arguing about.

Friends and family of Heather were surprised to hear the news, despite the fact that Lafferty was described as a “habitual offender” in the police incident report.

"Everyone liked him a lot. He had a really good job. They seemed to be making plans for the future," Heather's grandmother, Joan Beebe, told The Columbus Dispatch. She commented the two had adopted a puppy together, and this was his first stay at their new apartment.

According to Heather's grandmother, the two had been dating for eight months and had recently moved in together in the apartment where both bodies were found.

Picture from Heather's Instagram

Picture from Heather's Instagram

Friends of Heather described her as "full of life," and "a beautiful person inside and out" on Facebook. The Ohio State University was quick to describe the loss of Heather Campbell as "tragic."

In an email sent to students, the University said, "This tragic loss defies understanding — we are heartbroken. The death of a student affects the entire Ohio State community."

A local Columbus bar owner, Scott Ellsworth, announced that Too's, along with Three's and Barrel, will host a fundraiser for Heather Campbell.

Each bar will donate 25 percent of their proceeds from open to close to help with funeral expenses. In a statement shared with The Tab, Too's owner Scott Ellsworth said, "We didn't know this young lady personally, but we can begin to understand what the family is going through after this horrific crime."