For International Women’s Day, Spotify found out what women all over the world are listening to

Rihanna is the top female artist globally

Female musicians are some of the hardest working, and least appreciated people on this planet. Ask one, and she will tell you.

“Many of the best rock records of the year have been written by women or played on by women,” Sadie Dupuis, front woman of Speedy Ortiz, told Smart Girls.

“We would run into idiots all the time who would defer to my bandmates when clearly I was the person they should have been dealing with,” she continued, as she described their time on the road.

Nevertheless, she persisted; “People are starting to get the hint.”

And so, to honor International Women’s Day and Women’s History Month, Spotify has launched a Women in Music & Culture hub, to celebrate women who’ve made a true impression on not only music, but literature and culture as well.

According to Spotify, the series highlights some of the most iconic and rising female voices in music, literature and entertainment, and includes exclusive playlists with commentary from inspiring women.

It includes:

Exclusive playlists with commentary from inspiring women, playlists ranging from “Women of Acoustic” and “Women of Latin Music” to “Women of Pop” and “Women of Indie”, a selection of classic short stories and literature by women found in “Women’s Lit”, and Over 70 poems by women read by the authors themselves.

They’ve also done research into what the majority of women on Spotify have been listening to lately, and have made playlists catered to that.

1.       Ed Sheeran – Shape of You

2.       Ed Sheeran – Castle on the Hill

3.       Jax Jones – You Don’t Know Me

4.       The Chainsmokers – Paris

5.       Katy Perry – Chained To The Rhythm

6.       Little Mix – Touch

7.       Selena Gomez, Kygo – It Ain’t Me

8.       ZAYN, Taylor Swift – I Don’t Wanna Live Forever

9.       Ed Sheeran – How Would You Feel

10.   Rag n’ Bone Man – Human

Apparently, the ladies love Ed. And the top three genres women are listening to right now are pop, dance pop, and rock. 

The Top Five Female Artists Globally by all listeners:

1.       Rihanna

2.       Katy Perry

3.       Adele

4.       Sia

5.       Beyoncé

So head on over to Spotify to support your sisters in their creative endeavors, and listen to Women in Music & Culture. There’s room enough for all at the top.