graduating women gpa

Experts have worked out which majors are worst for getting a good job after graduation

Yours is probably on here

Some of the worst majors for getting a good job in America are Performing Arts, Media, English and Liberal Arts, according to financial experts.

The New York Federal Reserve has calculated the underemployment rates based on students who graduate and go into jobs that do not use their majors.

Underemployment is generally defined as the percentage of graduates who find low-paying work that does not require a college degree, the classic example being a barista who has an in-depth knowledge of Macbeth. In other words, if you’re spending four years doing Performing Arts but go into a desk job processing data, how useless is your major?

The most useful majors, in terms of employability, are different kinds of Engineering and Education, with Nursing coming out on top with a 13 percent underemployment rate. Compare that to a 44 percent national average of underemployment.

These stats come from the New York Fed’s latest research from the end of 2016. See where your major ranks below – all figures exclude those currently enrolled in school.