We are finally getting a black ‘Bachelorette’ and it’s about damn time

What took so long?

Hide Images

On tonight’s Jimmy Kimmel Live!, ABC will reportedly announce the first casting of a black Bachelorette.

Executive producer Mike Fleiss is dropping hints left and right that something big is happening, and that Jimmy Kimmel will be the first to announce it:

And more importantly, word seems to be out that Rachel Lindsay is going to be the chosen one. Amy Kaufman, LA Times celebrity writer and author of an upcoming book about The Bachelor, tweeted that she can confirm:

The announcement is not only going to change The Bachelor franchise (it’s been deemed unresponsive to questions about the franchise’s willingness to diversify) but will be a huge step for ABC toward progression.

Honestly it’s becoming less enjoyable for an audience to watch new rotations of white leads and contestants when today’s world just doesn’t reflect the bubble in which The Bachelor has always been nestled.

It’s no surprise Rachel Lindsay would be chosen—she’s a fan favorite among viewers who are rooting for her to at the very least be chosen by Nick, let alone star in the next season.

We’re SCREAMING for you, Rachel. Good for you, girl.