The cover of next month’s Vogue features a transgender model for the first time ever

The editor knew as soon as she saw her Instagram

For the first time ever, on the cover of March’s Vogue Paris, featured will be Valentina Sampaio, a young Brazilian model who is also transgender.

According to editor Emmanuelle Alt, she was already convinced of putting a transgender model on the cover, but it wasn’t until she saw Sampaio’s Instagram that she knew she’d found the right girl.

Have a look for yourself.

And another one.

According to the editor’s letter, when Sampaio turned up to shoot in London, she looked no different from any of the other French Vogue models they’d used, other than that she was born a boy.

For having never been terribly political, in the past year, Vogue has made waves in the politics surrounding fashion and art. For the first time ever, the magazine endorsed a presidential candidate in the 2016 election. They also began making changes in the ways they were recognizing, and pushing the boundaries of standard beauty ideals on their covers. But this is the first time we’ve seen a transgender model on the cover, and we couldn’t be happier.

“Fashion today has no borders,” said Michael Kors, one of the designers heading this high fashion revolution.

In such turbulent times, we cannot put limits on art, and Alt would be the first person to agree with this. We just can’t wait to see what walls Vogue breaks down next. Here’s to a new, better era of fashion.