Why I’m voting for Gary Johnson at the polls

I just really want to see him debate, y’all

Would you like a side of misogyny with your blatant racism? How about a side of negligence served hot with your stone-cold lies?

This election is rather unconventional. We have billionaire businessman and TV personality Donald Trump, a candidate with absolutely no political experience running as the Republican nominee. Then there’s Clinton, a candidate who comes from an entire lineage of politicians, but is viewed as untrustworthy due to her shady email scandals and negligence. The two candidates hold drastically different points of view, but they both hold one thing in common: they are the least favorable candidates in the entire history of U.S. elections.

Many voters feel like they are in a position where they are not even excited about who they are going to select in the race. They are playing a game of who they think is less evil. There is obnoxious, temperamental and extreme Trump who has been discredited by many in Washington, or “crooked,” lying Hillary Clinton who is a power-hungry politician with no real interest in the American people.

So where do we go from here?

Well, technically there are other options. Take Gary Johnson from the Libertarian party. He seems like a stable “middle ground” for people who are on the fence when it comes to who to vote for. He claims he is financially responsible while wanting to give people social protection. A guy who stands for my independent freedoms AND is economically conservative? Almost seems like a dream come true.

However, there is one problem with voting for Gary Johnson right now. That problem is that voting for him can be seen as a waste of a vote. Let’s say you really, really dislike Trump. Since our country typically goes by a two-party system, you may choose to vote for Hillary simply so Trump will not win. However, if you vote for a third party candidate over one in the two main parties, you are taking away a vote for Hillary and indirectly giving one to Trump.

Your vote should not have to be part of some strategic strategy. Your vote is your voice, and you should be able to understand the views of a candidate you truly appreciate and will follow.

Gary Johnson must be able to debate with Trump and Hillary this year, and if he can make it to 15% in the polls, he will be allowed to do that. I think if people took the time to research this candidate’s stellar background and listened to his views, they may consider this third option vote and agree that he should at least be allowed to debate, even if they decide to vote for a main party candidate in the end. A vote for someone who they can whole-heartedly stand with is not a vote wasted, no matter who you vote for.

And, besides, since this election already seems to be in turmoil, why not go ahead and experiment around with the status quo? What’s really the worst that can happen at this point?