NC House seeks gun rights amendment following Orlando shooting

The bill appeared on the House calendar today

The North Carolina House of Representatives is seeking an amendment to the North Carolina state constitution that would not allow legislators to prohibit the carry of concealed weapons in the future. The bill comes a day after a man murdered 49 people in a Florida nightclub.

The NC bill, called “Gun Rights Amendment,” edits Article 54.C of the constitution by stating: “Any person who is a lawful citizen of the United States and at least 21 years of age may carry a concealed weapon in the state unless provided otherwise by law.”

The implication of this edit is that concealed carry permits will no longer be required for lawful citizens who have not been convicted of a felony or are otherwise not federally allowed to carry firearms.

The bill has been placed on the agenda for June 13th, one day after the largest and deadliest mass shooting in the United States.

Since it’s a constitutional amendment, it must be voted on via referendum in November. Many NC citizens have decried this political move by the NC House, calling it “tone deaf” and “ill-prepared.”