19-year-old man dies after being suspected of taking MDMA at Assembly
A number of people also remain in hospital after suffering adverse effects
A 19-year-old man has died and a woman is in critical condition after falling ill at Assembly in Leamington Spa last night.
Police were called to the DnB Allstars event at around 5am this morning following reports that the teenager was suffering adverse effects after taking MDMA.
The man was rushed to hospital where he later died. His next of kin have been informed.
A 22-year-old woman is among a number of others who are also in hospital after taking the drug, it is reported.
The group were at the drum and bass event where Hybrid Minds were performing a set.
The 18+ event at The Assembly was sold out, and it is thought that many Warwick students had attended.
Warwickshire Police released a press statement this morning, confirming that the 19-year-old had died in hospital.
It read: "Police were called around 5am to report a teenager had become seriously ill in The Assembly Rooms on Spencer Street, and later died in hospital.
"His next of kin has been informed.
"A 22-year-old women is also in hospital in a serious condition, and a number of others were also admitted after suffering adverse effects.
"It's believed that the group were at a drum and bass student event at the venue, but may not have purchased the drugs online."
A 19-year-man has died and a woman is seriously ill in hospital after they are believed to have taken MDMA in Leamington early this morning.
The tablet is believed to be a red hexagonal pill named 'Red Bull' (pictured).
— Warwickshire Police (@warkspolice) February 1, 2020
Detective Superintendent Pete Hill from Warwickshire Police also said: "Our thoughts are with the family of the teenager, and specialist offers are currently supporting them.
"At this time we believe the tablet taken is a red hexagonal pill named 'Red Bull', which is believed to be MDMA, and we are concerned there maybe others who have also taken this."
The Detective Superintendent also went on to clarify: "Whilst the cause of death has not been confirmed and we are keeping an open mind as to whether the substance caused a bad reaction or an overdose, we would advise anyone who has also taken it to seek medical advise.
"We would also ask anyone who purchased any pills but have not yet taken them to please safely dispose of them.
"If others were at the same event last night and are aware their friends took this drug, please check in on them to ensure they are ok. If anyone requires urgent health advice, please contact your GP or call 111. In an emergency, please visit A&E or call 999."
The statement closes by asking anyone with information which could assist the investigation to please call Warwickshire Police on 101 quoting incident 63 of the 1st February 2020.
The Assembly has released a statement on their Instagram page, stating that: "We are extremely saddened by the tragic incident which occurred last night and extend our deepest sympathy to the family and friends at this very sad time.
"We take the well-being of our customers extremely seriously, we continue to work closely with Warwickshire Police and reiterate our zero tolerance policy on drugs in our venue."
The Assembly has been contacted for a comment.