Oxford University student death

First year Oxford University student died in Hinksey Park 15 minute walk from his college

The Christ Church student died in the early hours of 23rd February

A first year Oxford University student died in a park a short walk away from his college, an inquest has heard.

Colin Dowling, who was a student at Christ Church, died in Hinksey Park in the early hours of the morning of Thursday 23rd February.

Paramedics recorded his death at 12:53am in the south Oxford park.

The 19-year-old student had sent messages to friends on the previous evening expressing he intended to die by suicide.

Senior coroner, Darren Salter opened the inquest into Colin’s death last Wednesday (15th March) at Oxford Coroner’s Court.

He confirmed the cause of the student’s death remained under investigation.

Last month, friends paid tribute to the popular student at a memorial vigil held at Christ Church Cathedral.

Led by college chaplain and welfare co-ordinator, Clare Hayns, students were invited to light a candle in his memory during the one-hour service.

The full inquest into Colin’s death is scheduled to take place on 27th June.

Nobody should suffer alone. If you are experiencing any mental health issues or high levels of stress, help is readily available for those that need it.

A list of wellbeing services available to Oxford University students can be found here. Samaritans can be contacted at any time on 116 123. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably) on 0800 58 58 58.

Featured image via Oliver Sjoberg on Unsplash.