Here are seven of the best things to do in Nottingham this spring

Spring has sprung

We’ve all just about survived the never-ending winter in Nottingham, and springtime is now just around the corner. The weather is getting warmer, everyone’s feeling happier and even though deadline season is fast approaching, there is still some fun to be had. From a pint of Guinness on St Paddy’s day to a walk in Wollaton Park, there’s a whole range of things you can do now that the sun is starting to come out. So, to help you all make the most of Nottingham this spring, here are seven recommendations of things to do to kick off the sunny season right.

1.  Go for a picnic on the downs

Now it isn’t dark after a full day of lectures, having a picnic is a great way to relax after a long day of studying. Grab your flatmates, coursemates or any other friends and bring along snacks, sandwiches, tinnies and a speaker. There’s nothing like a wholesome evening of food and drink on campus’s gorgeous fields and hills. Even better, bring a football or rounders bat for an impromptu sports game!

2. Celebrate St. Patrick’s day

St Patrick’s Day is the perfect excuse to get drunk. Even better, it’s on a Saturday this year so even more reason to get a little bit feral and embrace the Irish spirit. Check out Bink’s Yard “Paddy’s Day” Carnival, “Paddy’s Party” at the Rescue Rooms, or “St Patrick’s Day Party” at Bierkeller. If you don’t fancy going out, have a St Paddy’s themed night in – all you need is a few pints of Guinness and you’re halfway there.

3. Have a cocktail night

Beer gardens are now reopening and bars are getting busier and the warmer weather is the perfect excuse for drinks. Although a bit more pricey, The Hockley Arts Club is covered in cherry blossom trees, perfect for this time of year. The Magic Garden is also a beautiful venue, and it screams spring vibes. You could also head down to 31k in Hockley and try their “Yorkshire Rose” or “Meadow Lane” cocktails, both made with floral flavours and perfect for the spring.

4. Have a girl’s night in for International Women’s Day

March 8th commemorates International Women’s Day, and it is the perfect excuse to gather all your girls and celebrate womanhood with a wholesome night. You could try pottery painting, go for dinner, have drinks, or have a movie night at home. A chick flick would be perfect, and it’s a great excuse to rewatch the classics: Mean Girls, Legally Blonde, 13 going on 30. The list is endless.

5. Go for a walk in nature

A hot girl walk is perfect for putting the dark and gloomy winter long behind us and there are loads of places in Nottingham to go and embrace spring. Wollaton park is the perfect location as its close to campus, and the baby deer are adorable to spot when wandering around. If you are able to venture out of the city, go to Gedling Country Park, Clumber Park or Sherwood Forest. The woodlands are the perfect study break to refresh and reset.

6. Go boating in Highfields Park

The boats on Highfields lake are the ultimate wholesome activity for the warmer weather in Nottingham. While it would be perfect for a date, you could take your pals too! It is an affordable activity that won’t break the bank, even if you’re patiently waiting for student finance’s third instalment to come in. You could also take a picnic to refuel you after an afternoon of rowing.

7. Go thrifting

Now the warmer weather is on its way, it’s a great excuse to upgrade your wardrobe, and even better if you can do it sustainably. Lucky for us, Nottingham is home to some amazing thrift shops. Try out Relic x Hooked and Garms on Bridlesmith Gate, or head into Hockley to find Cow vintage and Wild clothing. Bubble Vintage and White Rose in the market square are also perfect for refreshing your wardrobe. Good for the planet and good for the bank account – what’s not to love.

Related articles recommended by this author

Here are eight things you’ll only know if you lived in Nightingale Hall

The five best ways to combat homesickness while at Uni at Notts

Your ultimate guide to all the upcoming gigs in Nottingham this March