Nottingham student dies after taking part in charity boxing match

Jubal Reji Kurian died of his injuries in Queen’s Medical Centre

An amateur boxer who took part in a charity boxing match has died after sustaining serious injuries in Nottingham.

Nottingham student Jubal Reji Kurian was partaking in a boxing charity event last Saturday, March 25th.

The event was organised by the charity Ultra White Collar Boxing, at Harvey Hadden Sports Village.

Jubal’s match was a part of one of the opening fights, which were planned to run from 5.30pm to 10pm.

The event was cut short as a result of Kurian’s injuries.

Paramedics attempted to treat him at the scene, and he was then rushed to Queens’ Medical Centre where Nottinghamshire Police said his condition deteriorated, and he later died, reports ITV News.

A spokesperson for Ultra White Collar Boxing said: “Everyone at Ultra White Collar Boxing was deeply saddened to hear of the tragic death of one of our participants, who took part in our Nottingham event on Saturday March 25th.

“Our thoughts are very much with his family and friends at this difficult time.

“We are in close contact with his family and continue to offer them all the support we can.”

Ultra White Collar Boxing hold charity events to raise money for Cancer Research UK across England.

Those participating in boxing events are given eight weeks of free training from professionals.

Detective Inspector Chris Berryman of Nottinghamshire Police said: “Officers attended Harvey Hadden Sports Village on Saturday, March 25th with partners including East Midlands Ambulance Service.

“A man was left seriously injured following a boxing match and transported to Queen’s Medical Centre.

“Since the incident, his condition deteriorated and he has sadly passed away. Our thoughts are with all of his family and friends at this difficult time.

“We are keeping an open mind and working with the coroner to establish what has happened.”

Why Lent should be a time for trying new things instead of giving them up

• What your favourite University of Nottingham library spot says about you

• Things you’ll only remember if you were a Covid-19 fresher in Notts