Baila and Bel: Try something new at student led dance classes for all abilities 

Based in Jesmond, classes run every Monday from 19.30 until 20.30

It’s hard to juggle hobbies, assignments and a social life, as well as ensuring you get at least 100 steps in a day that don’t include walking round the library. Being short of both time and money means that finding hobbies which also double up as exercise and as a means of socialising is a win win win. Baila and Bel provide exactly that.

Run by Annabel, Baila and Bel offer ballroom classes for all abilities and is located in Jesmond. Class content changes every week so you’ll get the chance to learn a different style of ballroom dance with every session. Just some of the styles you’ll learn include ballroom, latin, salsa and jive.

Annabel acquired her teaching qualifications when she was 17, but started dancing when she was just 20 months old. She hopes her classes encourage people to try something new.

She said: “I started this class because teaching other people and sharing the benefits of ballroom dancing is something I’ve always been passionate about and I believe everyone should give it a go. I wanted to deliver relaxed, informal classes where everyone feels comfortable learning a new skill.

“I hope my class will encourage younger demographics, such as students, to give it a go – it’s in a convenient location for most students and I teach in a way that is purposefully appealing and suitable to people my age.”

Classes run on Monday evenings from 19.30pm until 20.30pm and are located at Freelance Dance, 8 Brentwood Avenue, West Jesmond, NE2 3DH. Right next to the Metro if you’re too far to walk. You can go both solo or with a partner, as it’s a super sociable class. Classes are £7 a session, and when you feel ready to commit, you can pay £30 for six weeks.

It seems scary to try something new, but classes are super relaxed and are actually so much fun. Dancing is an intimate sport so even if you don’t go with a friend, you’ll be sure to meet people loads of others there. Plus, not only are you supporting independent business, Baila and Bel is also a student-run concept so you’re giving back in more ways than one.

Annabel said: “With summer approaching, my classes are a great way for people to kick start their fitness routines after exam season and regain confidence for the coming months.”

Uni is all about throwing yourself into new experiences; with just weeks left of the academic term, time is of the essence and there’s no excuse not to go try it out.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.