Newcastle Uni student caught drink driving in city centre

Kayla Dodd has been banned from driving for six months after her driving was deemed dangerous

Third year dental student, Kayla Dodds, was caught drink driving by officers when she was travelling the wrong way down a street in Newcastle City Centre.

Police followed Dodd through the city centre as her driving became dangerous. The court was told the 23-year-old was then seen turning onto a one-way road in the wrong direction and narrowly missed a car.

Dodd was pulled over and arrested after she failed a roadside breath test.

At Newcastle Magistrates Court’, the dental student was fined £120 after she pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

She was ordered to pay £85 costs and a £48 victim surcharge.

The Chronicle Live reports, Prosecutor, Laura Croft, said police were in a marked car at around 11.30pm on 29th November 2022.

“He sees the defendant’s Audi vehicle driving erratically along the road, swerving in and out of traffic along Neville Street,” Miss Croft continued.

“The defendant then turned right into Bewick Street. It’s a one-way system and she was going the wrong way and she narrowly missed another vehicle. At this point, the defendant is stopped.”

Dodd claimed she had only had a glass of wine and was travelling into the city for a night out with pals.

Michael Crowe, defending, said: “She planned to leave the car. She was not familiar with the area where she was driving and was trying to follow Google Maps and ended up driving on to Bewick Street.”

Chairing magistrate, Win Clayton, explained: “We treat everyone over the limit for drink driving very seriously in these courts, especially at this time of year.”

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

Featured image via Facebook.