Newcastle has been crowned the Christmas capital of the UK

Not surprising at all, the Moosenwirt bar is a vibe.

Newcastle is officially the first city to be named the ‘Capital of Christmas’ following the release of new national research to celebrate the festive season.

Budgeting experts, Park Christmas Savings, have released a new study that reveals the Geordies to be the most financially prepared for the festive season, putting away more money than any other town or city in the UK.

Christmas markets, the Moosenwirt bar and Fenwick’s window are just a few of the Christmas attractions that have kept revellers happy.

There is also a 33 per cent of snow this December in Newcastle and the Christmas lights are on early to light up the beautiful Toon.

The markets on Grainger Street and Eldon Square are filled with uniquely crafted gifts, festive treats and mulled wine, of course.

Not forgetting the stunning ‘Bergen Tree’ that has been kindly gifted to Newcastle from the Norweigans since 1949, to thank us four our help during the Second World War.

The research also looked at other variables including the average cost of a weekend visit in December, number of tourists and social media appeal.

Lord Mayor of Newcastle, Cllr Karen Robinson said: “Newcastle’s has always enjoyed a close relationship with Bergen, and it gives me great pleasure to be able to accept their generous gift of a tree on behalf of the people of our city.”

Ian Thomas, Destination Director at NewcastleGateshead Initiative, which promotes tourism in the area, said: “Christmas is a time to make memories for life and spend quality time with loved ones, and there is no better place to do that than in Newcastle, and this accolade is testament to that.

“Our partners across the city work hard every year to ready the region for Christmas and give people from around the world the famous Geordie welcome.

“This year is out our biggest and best, with Christmas markets showcasing local traders and bringing local landmarks to life, such as Old Eldon Square, Grey’s Monument and the historic Grainger Market – the city is absolutely buzzing with festivities.

“We will be wearing the Capital of Christmas crown with pride as a destination where everyone is welcome, at Christmas and all year round.”

What a way to end 2022 in the Toon.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.