Tributes pour in for Northumbria University student who was killed in their student halls

Jason Brockbanks was described as having a ‘beautiful soul’

A man has been charged with the murder of a 24-year-old Northumbria University student in their student halls.

The man who was killed in Mansion Tyne student halls last week has been named as 24-year-old Jason Brockbanks. Friends of Jason, originally from Whitehaven, have paid tribute to him and described him as having a “beautiful soul”.

Jason was found dead in the city halls on September 28th, before the police arrested 21-year-old Aaron Ray of Mayfield Road, Sunderland, who has since been charged with murder.

Since his death, friends and family have been paying tribute to Jason online. Lee Currie from Lockerbie met Jason on a night out and kept in touch with him everyday. He told The Newcastle Tab: “Jason was a lovely young man, had his whole life ahead of him.

“He would never harm a soul and always looked out for people. He will be sadly missed by all, he has left a gapping whole in my heart that will never be filled again. R.I.P Jason, sleep tight you will always have a special place in my heart”.

via Lee Currie

Another friend, Tyler Lee Irving told The Newcastle Tab: “Jason was one of those people who would do anything for anyone. He was kind, warm and funny and would always ask you if you were okay. He genuinely cared about people and he’ll be a huge miss to everyone.

“I’m just so shocked that someone would do something to someone so kind and genuine like Jason, it’s heartbreaking! I hope Jason is somewhere and is at peace. Rest in Peace Jason”.

Tyler Burns, an old school friend of Jason’s said that the news of his death spread among friends in Cumbria last week and that they were all finding it hard to comprehend the shocking news. Tyler told the Chronicle that Jason had “found himself” in Newcastle.

He said: “He was very, very smart. I always expected him to do really well for himself. He was so kind and lovely he didn’t deserve it.”

22-year-old Brogan Nicholson met Jason at a party around seven years ago and told the Chronicle: “We used to have the craziest conversations but the most laughs. I can remember us singing at every party we were at together. I will always remember his laugh and his beautiful soul.

“There’s been a few times in my life where I’ve been in a low way and Jason was one of those lads that helped people in their time of need. He’d often message me and tell me I’m not alone and could speak to him if I needed to. He will be a big miss to everybody.”

If you are a Northumbria University student feeling unsettled about the news, please be aware that support is available. You can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the Ask4Help service and specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team. To access these services please visit Student Life and Wellbeing.

If you are a Newcastle University student and need support, you can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the TalkCampus and iNCLude service and find specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team. To access these services please visit Student Wellbeing.