Manchester students on society trip to Brussels are safe after explosions

The Francophone and Photography societies were due to return to the UK today after a four day trip to the Belgian capital.

All 21 students in the group are safe from harm following the explosions across the city this morning.

They left Manchester by bus on the 18th March and were due to return by bus this afternoon.

It is unknown whether they will be able to return today, as there may be border closures.

The image on the Facebook event for the trip

The president of the University of Manchester Francophone Society informed the Students’ Union earlier today that the party are all unharmed.

They are in a coach in transit to a safe location in the city.

The attacks happened just after 8am local time (7am GMT) today. Two bombs went off in Zaventem airport and later, one explosion occurred at Maalbeek metro station.

There have been multiple deaths and serious injuries and the country is now on maximum terrorist alert.

Naa Acquah, General Secretary at the University of Manchester Students’ Union added: “I am deeply saddened by the news of attacks in Brussels this morning. Our thoughts are with everyone caught up in these horrendous attacks and with the families of those that lost their lives.

We are making contact with any students we know that are travelling to and around Brussels this week. If you have any queries please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.”

The Facebook post from the University of Manchester Students’ Union

The Students’ Union Facebook page has extended support to anyone affected by the horrific events in Brussels.

Anyone in need of support or further information should call this number: 01612752930