We spoke to the King’s student behind the ‘Big Clit Energy’ Instagram page

She’s just as cool as you’d expect.

Big Clit Energy is the work of 3rd-year Classics student Nicole Gleeson, aiming to spread information and awareness about sexual health and sex-positivity. She also runs a blog alongside the Instagram account, featuring interviews on sex positivity and intersectional feminism. The Tab King’s sat down with Nicole to discuss why she made the page, and how it’s affected her own life.

What made you want to create Big Clit Energy?

I wanted to create a sex-positive blog to act as a resource for young people to read about other young people’s experiences surrounding sex and relationships. A few years ago when I needed this it didn’t exist so I think about what would my younger self have liked to know. The blog is always open to submissions so if you have anything to say about sex, relationships, intersectional feminism, self-love, please feel free to send it to me via Instagram.

How good do you think sexual health awareness is at King’s, and amongst uni students generally? 

Not great! If you asked a student where can you go to get tested for STIs I’m not confident that they would know. That’s not their fault! The King’s Health Centre is really efficient. You can pick up an at-home test kit and send it off OR you can book an in-person appointment which will take 5 minutes to take a blood sample and then you do the swab test yourself. If you are not registered at King’s, SH:24 or SH London provide free at-home test kits to some London boroughs.

View this post on Instagram

*Look away if you don’t like blood!* . Here’s me using a finger prick blood test to check for STIs! I got my mum to help milk my finger 🥛as I have a terrible phobia of blood, needles and I always faint (lol the holy trinity). Mid way through that’s me being a drama queen lying on the bed feeling a little faint but that’s only because this is literally my worst nightmare BUT guess what – I still did it! You can order them for free online from @sh24_nhs or from Sexual Health London. If you don’t live in London google if you can get a free test kit delivered. . This one was free and it’s delivered in discreet white plain packaging. . Lockdown is the perfect opportunity to cut STI rates so order those test kits if you can 😁 . . . #bigclitenergy #feminist #memes #sexpositive #masturbatemore #sex #sexeducation #relationships #selflove #sti #cutstirate

A post shared by Big Clit Energy (@big.c.energy) on

Your page is full of great feminist content. What challenges do you think women specifically face when it comes to sexual health?

Women do face challenges when it comes to sexual health and particularly BME women. Phoebe Boateng talks about the racial bias in childbirth in her blog post about Intersectional Feminism. Statistics show that black women are five times more likely to die in childbirth due, in part, to a bias that black women can handle more pain. Decolonising Contraception is an amazing sexual health charity that aims to increase awareness of the colonial influences in sexual and reproductive health, so check them out!

Do you think being so open about sex online has ever affected the interactions you have with people in real life?

Yes! I’ve found it more difficult to date now that I share so much personal information about my sex and dating life. A date once stalked me beforehand and started quoting things I’d said about dating apps. I felt uncomfortable that they had access to so much information about me but I could know hardly anything about them. I’ve now set a boundary that I won’t share this account with someone before going on a date.

If people take one thing away from your page, what do you hope that it is?

Talk to your friends about sex! The chances are that they want to talk about it too.

You review quite a few books on the page – what are your top recommendations?

Ooh so many but I’ll pick three: Women Don’t Owe You Pretty by Florence Given; Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton; Mask Off: Masculinity Redefined by JJ Bola.

View this post on Instagram

THIS BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE!! When I’ve described this book to my friends, I’ve summed it up with the first chapter, ‘feminism is going to ruin your life (in the best way possible)’. It might be a LOUD and much needed wake up call to intersectional feminism. It will give you tools to learn to love yourself, it will teach you how to protect your energy, it might even make you realise that maybe you don’t have a ‘girl crush’ and maybe you’re queer. It will also make you uncomfortable and that is ok. You will question why you’re jealous of other woman and why we shit on each other. You will question your privilege – I certainly did as a white, cis, thin and able bodied woman. I still can’t believe @florencegiven is 21 years old and so fucking wise to have written this book. She is awesome. Everyone must read ! . . . #bigclitenergy #feminist #memes #sexpositive #masturbatemore #sex #sexeducation #relationships #selflove #florencegiven #privilege #queer #girlcrush #loveyourself #protectyourenergy #intersectionalfeminism