‘All right-minded people will share my horror’: Sir Peter Mathieson on the Israel-Gaza conflict

‘Any student or staff member found to be supporting Hamas will be in breach of UK law’

Amidst the conflict in Gaza and Southern Israel, Edinburgh University’s Principal and Vice-Chancellor, Peter Mathieson, announced that he firmly stands by Universities UK’s stance against supporting Hamas.

In a statement released on Friday, Principal and Vice-Chancellor Peter Mathieson announced that the university supports the statement made by Universities UK released earlier in the week.

The statement says: “Any student or staff member found to be supporting Hamas will be in breach of UK law, and universities treat this with the utmost seriousness”.

It also states that: “Any discrimination or intimidation against students or staff resulting from the attacks in Israel is absolutely unacceptable, and we urge any students facing antisemitism, islamophobia or harassment or discrimination of any kind to inform their university and seek support.”

This comes in light of the conflict in Gaza and Southern Israel this week, which Mathieson responds to stating that “All right-minded people will share my horror at the loss of life, displacement and traumas that have overtaken people” in the area.

What’s more, the statement acknowledges that the university is working to support all students affected, and is “heartened that many…are reaching out to your friends in our community to seek support and would encourage others to do so.”

Whilst the university has not made an explicit statement on the conflict this week, a page on the Edinburgh website has been set up for those looking for support during this time

Image via the University of Edinburgh