Heriot-Watt graduate named as one of those killed in Iran plane crash

An Imperial PhD student was also killed

A graduate from Herriot-Watt University has been named as one of those killed in a Ukrain passenger plane crash.

42-year-old Sam Zokaei graduated from the university in 2004 with a master’s in petroleum engineering, The Herald reports.

Sam was from London, and worked on BP’s site in Sunbury-on-Thames in Middlesex. A spokesperson for the company said they were “shocked and deeply saddened” by the news.

The spokesperson for BP continued: “With the deepest regret, we can confirm that one of our colleagues at BP, Sam Zokaei, was a passenger on the Ukrainian International Airlines plane that crashed in Iran this morning, reportedly with no survivors.

“We are shocked and deeply saddened by this tragic loss of our friend and colleague, and all of our thoughts are with his family and friends.”

An Imperial PhD student has also been named as one of those killed in the crash. Saeed Tahmasebi Khademasadi was a postgraduate researcher at the university’s Centre for System Engineering and Innovation.

The 35-year-old had previously obtained a degree in civil engineering at Greenwich University, and a master’s in structural engineering at the University of Surrey.

A spokesperson for Imperial said Saeed worked on national and international projects concerning high rise buildings, railways, airports and Ministry of Defence installations.

Saeed’s wife, 34-year-old Niloufar Ebrahim, was also named as a victim of the crash. The pair had married the year before.

A spokesperson for Imperial said: “We are deeply saddened at this tragic news.

“Saeed Tahmasebi Khademasadi was a brilliant engineer with a bright future.

“His contributions to systems engineering earned respect from everyone who dealt with him and will benefit society for years to come.

“He was a warm, humble and generous colleague, and close friend to many in our community.

“Our thoughts and sincere condolences are with Saeed’s family, friends and colleagues, as well as all those affected by this tragedy.”

Staff at a pet store near the dry cleaners which 40-year-old Mr Kadkhoda Zadeh ran paid tribute to him as “a lovely man [with] a lovely smile”.