Professor sacked from Heriot-Watt over sexual assault allegations

Police have also launched an investigation

Hide Images

A business professor has been sacked from Heriot-Watt University and a police investigation launched after he was accused of committing sexual and physical assaults.

Kevin O’Gorman, who specialises in business history, was a director in the school of management and is being investigated over allegations which stretch back to 2005.

The assaults were alleged to take place in Glasgow and Edinburgh. The professor worked at the University of Strathclyde between 2007 and 2012.

The allegations were originally brought to the attention of the university by staff, and an internal probe was launched into his conduct.

The results of this probe were then referred to Police Scotland.

A spokesperson from Heriot-Watt University said: “We can confirm that following formal complaints made by staff, the university has carried out an internal investigation.

“This has resulted in a member of university staff being dismissed by the university.

“The matter has been referred to the police and the university is cooperating fully with the police investigation.”

They added: “The welfare of our students and staff is of paramount importance to us, and independent counselling and advice has been made available.”

A Police spokesperson said: “Police Scotland is currently investigating reports of physical and sexual assaults that took place in Glasgow and Edinburgh over the last 12 years.

“Inquiries are ongoing. All reports of abuse are treated with the utmost seriousness and investigated robustly.”

According to the BBC, Professor O’Gorman’s lawyer said: “He totally refutes the allegations, which he says are malicious, and he will be robustly defending himself at the appropriate time and place.”