Bristol University Library website crashes during stressful dissertation week

Many final year student’s dissertations are due this week

The University of Bristol’s online library website has crashed during a crucial time for students.

Users noticed that the website was down this afternoon for around an hour. Searches for scholarly books and articles were returning no results.

This comes during a very stressful period in the academic year. Dissertations for many final year students are due between Wednesday and Friday this week, whilst end of year assessments are in full swing for the remaining year groups.

Official exam season runs between 15th May and 2nd June, but earlier essay hand-in dates and coursework deadlines mean the technological issue will be problematic for students trying to use the library resource today.

The ‘live chat’ library team confirmed the problem was with Library Search.

Library Search is a useful resource that allows students to access academic texts from across the world that may not be available as a physical copy.

Other features allow users to do advanced searches, view archival collections, and locate specific books in the numerous libraries across the university.

The Bristol Tab has reached out to the university for a comment.