Hayden Panettiere slams ‘unfathomable’ criticism she wasn’t sober during ‘slurred’ interview

‘Whether or not I am on medication is none of anyone’s business’

Hayden Panettiere has slammed speculation that she wasn’t sober during a recent interview with PEOPLE where her speech was “slurred.” The interview with PEOPLE Magazine was published last week, with Hayden Panettiere discussing the impact of her brother’s unexpected death in 2023.

After the interview was published, many flocked to Twitter to voice their concerns for the actress and were worried she was very visibly not sober for the entirety of the interview. One wrote: “Omg….shame on PEOPLE magazine for posting that Hayden Panettiere video interview. The slurring….the half closed eyes….come on. She’s been through so much. We’re rooting for you, Hayden.”

Another added: “I sincerely hope Hayden Panettiere is doing okay. That interview certainly didn’t showcase her at her best, but she spoke too eloquently and coherently for me to instantly assume she was unwell. I’ve taken meds for anxiety and even migraines that can slur your speech.”

Hayden has since taken to Instagram to address concerns, saying the fact she even has to talk about any controversy is “unfathomable.” She wrote: “I would like to take a moment to address the controversy surrounding an interview I recently completed with PEOPLE Magazine.

“It’s unfathomable that I’m even in this position, but I feel forced to address it in a space where I won’t be criticized for how fast or slow I speak. I hadn’t slept for two days prior to the shoot due to one of my dogs who was recovering from an emergency surgical procedure.

“It was an eight hour shoot followed by an on-camera interview that was supposed to last for one hour. The interview started well, and for the record, its beginning is not included in the version PEOPLE Magazine posted.  I was exhausted. My rep stopped the interview early as it became obvious that I was fading – especially as the subject matter became heavier.

“We asked the interviewer if we could re-do it another day or do a follow up interview on Zoom.  She assured us that it wasn’t necessary, and that she felt it was an emotional and heartfelt interview. We were also told they would edit it and that it would be a beautiful piece.   The magazine does not grant approval for images or video interviews before they run. We see the interview when it goes live.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Hayden Panettiere (@haydenpanettiere)

She continued: “Grief looks different on everyone.  Whether or not I am on medication is none of anyone’s business and is between me and my doctor.  I am doing interviews to promote my new film because I am proud of it.

“The real issue here is the toxicity of social media, and a news cycle that is driven by clickbait.  Mental health is so important, and I hope those reading this now understand that what you say hiding behind a computer screen can have a detrimental impact on someone. For those of you who have come to my defence amidst this chaos, I am so grateful. Like I’ve said before, I am a work in progress. We all are.”

For more like this plus all the latest news, drops, quizzes and memes, like The Tab on Facebook

• All the mortifyingly cringe things Katy Perry has done since her new single got annihilated

• The dead on arrival disaster of Katy Perry’s return to music: How did she get it so wrong?

• Kesha seemingly shades Katy Perry after rumours her new single is produced by Dr Luke

Featured image via YouTube.