As divorce looms, here’s a full timeline of Britney and Sam Asghari’s relationship

They met on the set of one of Britney’s music videos

Poor Britney just can’t catch a break. TMZ has now reported that after 14 months of marriage, Britney Spears and Sam Asghari have split, and Sam filed for divorce almost immediately after TMZ broke the story. This was Britney’s third marriage – she had a 55 hour marriage to childhood sweetheart Jason Alexander in 2004 and then a much publicised marriage and divorce with Kevin Federline, whom she has her two sons with. Until Britney Spears and Sam Asghari were announced as split by US press last night, the relationship seemed solid – here’s a full timeline of the pop icon’s longest and most serious relationship.

October 2016 – Britney and Sam meet

Britney meets Iranian born Sam Asghari on the set of her Slumber Party music video, the second single from 2016’s Glory. They both looked hot as fuck in this video so dating followed, naturally.

January 2017 – Brit and Sam go Insta official

The two begin dating after Slumber Party, and go Instagram official at the start of 2017.

Britney and Sam then happily spend the rest of 2017 updating Instagram every now and again with pictures of themselves at functions or on holidays, like Clive Davis’ Grammys party or a trip to Japan. It’s all very wholesome.

February 2018 – Britney and Sam celebrate a year together

Britney writes the following on Instagram: “I’ve been with this man for over a year. Everyday he inspires me to be a better person and that makes me feel like the luckiest girl in the world!!”

July 2019 – Red carpet debut

After over two years of dating and the relationship timeline, Britney and Sam make their red carpet debut for the premiere of Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

February 2021 – Sam defends Britney after the NYT doc comes out

Sam makes a huge statement about Britney’s father following the explosive documentary.

“Now it’s important for people to understand that I have zero respect for someone trying to control our relationship and constantly throwing obstacles our way. In my opinion Jamie is a total dick. I won’t be going into details because I’ve always respected our privacy but at the same time I didn’t come to this country to not be able to express my opinion and freedom.”

March 2021 – Sam wants to start a family with Britney

A source tells the US press that Sam wants to be a dad and start a family with Britney.

June 2021 – Sam wears a Free Britney t-shirt

Sam posts a pic to his Insta story as Britney prepares to speak to the courts regarding her conservatorship – he also puts a lion emoji in the corner, as he always refers to B as his “lioness”.

September 2021 – Britney and Sam get enagaged

Britney and Sam timeline

April 2022 – Britney seems to announce that she’s pregnant on Instagram

In a caption written in her usual style, Britney says: “I lost so much weight to go on my Maui trip only to gain it back 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️ … I thought ‘Geez … what happened to my stomach ???’ My husband said ‘No you’re food pregnant silly 🤪 !!!’ So I got a pregnancy test … and uhhhhh well … I am having a baby 👶🏼. Four days later I got a little more food pregnant 🤰🏼🙈🙈🙈 It’s growing !!! If two are in there … I might just loose [sic] it 😬😬😬😬😬😬.”

May 2022 – Britney and Sam tragically lose the baby

They announce the sad news by saying on Instagram in a joint statement “It is with out deepest sadness we have to announce that we have lost our miracle baby early in the pregnancy. This is a devastating time for any parent. Perhaps we should have waited to announce until we were further along however we were overly excited to share the good news. Our love for each other is our strength. We will continue trying to expand our beautiful family. We are grateful for all of your support. We kindly ask for privacy during this difficult moment.”

June 2022 – Britney and Sam marry at her home

Britney and Sam timeline

June 2023 – Britney and Sam celebrate a year anniversary 

Us Weekly reported that the first year of marriage was turbulent but Britney and Sam were determined to make it work.

August 2023 – Sam files for divorce

Sam cites irreconcilable differences after TMZ reports the two have split and he files for divorce.

Britney is yet to comment on the split. She did post a picture of her on a horse, though. Thus ends the Britney and Sam relationship timeline.

Recommended stories by this writer:

• The definitive ranking of Britney Spears music videos, based on how iconic they are

• ‘I just want my life back’: Everything Britney Spears said in her historic court appearance

• Only a true Britney obsessive will get full marks in this Britney Spears lyrics quiz

Featured image courtesy of Image Press Agency/NurPhoto/Shutterstock before edits