spider-man 2 release date

Swinging into action: Everything you need to know about Spider-Man 2 ahead of its release

It’s not even out yet and it’s already my Game of the Year

With the abundance of Spider-Man content recently, it couldn’t get much better than with the gameplay reveal for Spider-Man 2 that happened at Playstation’s State of Play. Now we haven’t heard much about the game up until this point besides from a short cinematic trailer that released last year. But Insomniac has proven its silence was all for good reason; working extremely hard to deliver the best possible follow-up to one of the best games of 2018. Based on the trailers and gameplay shown, we are in for a great story that involves a great partnership between Peter Parker and Miles Morales. Here is everything we know so far about the highly anticipated Spider-Man 2:

The exact Spider-man 2 release date is still unknown 

Credit: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Insomniac has been very vague in terms of the release date for Spider-Man 2. Rather than giving an exact date, it has opted to provide fans with a release window instead, one that mirrors the first game. The game is due to release in “Fall 2023”, or Autumn for us British people, which means the game will hopefully drop between September and November.

The map is two times bigger than the first game

spider-man 2 release date

Credit: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Usually with a Spider-Man game, you’d think all the maps would virtually be the same due to the New York setting. But this time around, with the inclusion of Miles Morales, the map is larger than ever before. Brooklyn and Queens will now be added to the map as playable areas, with less skyscrapers and more residential places. Excitingly, the map size has doubled since the first game so fans can look forward to traversing throughout these new parts of the city. Particularly with the reported new traversal and movement mechanics, as seen in the trailer, which means Miles can deploy a wingsuit to glide around the city.

A fan-favourite villain makes an appearance

spider-man 2 release date

Credit: Sony Interactive Entertainment

As the previous trailer from last year revealed, Venom will be a main antagonist in the game’s story: A Spider-Man villain that is a fan favourite, having appeared in Spider-Man 3 in 2007, and his own solo film in 2018. But the new gameplay showcase also  revealed that Kraven the Hunter will also be featured as an antagonist, alongside The Lizard, also known as Kurt Connors. The villain roster is already looking to hold up as well as the first game that had the likes of the Sinister Six, that included Electro, Mister Negative, and Doctor Ock.

Alongside this, the gameplay trailer revealed that Peter gets infected with the Venom Symbiote, which grants Peter will new abilities with the possibility of the Venom suit. Insomniac said it wanted the gameplay in the Venom suit to “feel different than what you normally see”, with the Symbiote’s style being more “power, strength, aggression”. And, as the trailer suggests, the Symbiote is already starting to change Peter’s personality, teasing a conflict between him and Miles.

You can play as both Peter and Miles

spider-man 2 release date

Credit: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Following both Spider-Man and the Miles Morales spin-off, many fans were wondering if they would be able to play as both Peter and Miles in the sequel. Insomniac has revealed that you will be able to switch between both Spider-Men in the open world “with a simple button press”. However, when in missions, the level design has allowed for seamless switches that are “pre-determined by how the story plays out”. It added that “there will be content designed around Peter, and content designed around Miles”.

The newest trailer can be seen below:

Marvel’s Spider Man 2 is set to release Autumun 2023 on PS5. For all the latest gaming news, memes and updates follow The Holy Church of Gaming on Facebook. 

The day’s come for the Fortnite Spider-Verse update – here’s what’s brand new in game

A considered ranking of Rockstar’s best games, from average to fully fledged masterpieces

Only a massive Marvel nerd will get 13/15 in this trivia quiz