Sisters, the trailer is out! Everything we know about the long awaited Hocus Pocus 2

Three queens from Drag Race are cast as drag versions of the witches!

To know me as a child (and as an adult, if we’re being real) is to know my unwavering obsession with Hocus Pocus. The 1993 witchy Disney cult classic is a Halloween favourite, but in my house it was on about as regularly as Coronation Street. For a children’s film, it was really dark and I think that’s why I loved it so much. I was never one for being patronised and always liked stuff older than my years, and Hocus Pocus was a Disney film about witches that murdered and ate children – so I adored it, naturally. For years, we’ve all endured the crap Facebook edited hoax posters of the Sanderson sisters shoddily edited into Times Square – but now it is *actually* happening. Here’s everything we know about Hocus Pocus 2!

It’s officially out on 30th September 2022

SISTERS! Yesterday (28th June ’22), Disney released the teaser trailer for Hocus Pocus 2 and we got our first glimpse of Winnie, Mary and Sarah Sanderson back to terrorise once again. The trailer also gave us the official release date of 30th September 2022 – we previously knew it was definitely coming in Fall ’22, but now the day is confirmed!

Hocus Pocus 2 is directed by Anne Fletcher, the director of 27 Dresses!

What cast are returning?

Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy are all back as Winnie, Sarah and Mary Sanderson – and I’m shaking, crying, throwing up at the prospect. Doug Jones, who played the zombie Billy in the original film, is returning according to IMDb. Sadly, the jury is out on if any of the young original cast will be returning. Vinessa Shaw, who played Alison in the original film, said she hadn’t been asked in October 2021 and was upset as she would have definitely come back and got involved.

Omri Katz, who played the lead role of Max, has retired from acting now and so will not be starring. Thora Birch, who as a child played Max’s younger sister Dani before she garnered international acclaim for American Beauty, tweeted that 2022 is going to be “Mah-vellous” with a Winnie gif earlier this year – causing buzz and rumours that she might be in the film. Nothing has been confirmed yet though that she’ll be in Hocus Pocus 2.

Via Disney

New cast?

Whitney Peak, Lilia Buckingham and Belissa Escobedo have been cast as Becca, Cassie and Izzy – who from the trailer look like the meddlesome kids who inadvertently bring the witches back to life. Sam Richardson from Veep is cast as Gilbert, seen in the trailer telling the Hocus Pocus 2 kids that witches see their powers emerge on their 16th birthday. Big hints that the kids in Hocus Pocus 2 will be witches, not least because they were doing a big spell in the trailer.

Also, I am GAGGED that Ginger Minj, Kahmora Hall and Kornbread from RuPaul’s Drag Race will be in the film as drag versions of Winnie, Sarah and Mary. That is the best news I have ever heard.

We’re (probably) getting another musical number!

Okay, we all know the best part of Hocus Pocus is when the Sanderson sisters sing I Put A Spell On You. Well, at the end of the trailer, a man says to the sisters “I bet you’re looking for the stage” and Winnie replies “Always” – if that’s not confirmation that we’re getting another bop I don’t know what is

Remind yourself of all the iconic Hocus Pocus moments before 2 comes out on Disney Plus here.

Recommended stories by this writer:

Only Winnie Sanderson herself could get full marks in this Hocus Pocus trivia quiz

• QUIZ: Can you match the final girl to the horror film she’s from?

• How long would you last in a horror film? Take this quiz to find out