If you do these 40 things then you’re officially posh according to a new study
Your Tory mate is definitely getting full marks on this one
According to a new survey study there are 40 very specific things you have to do if you want to be considered posh.
Perspectus Global asked 2,000 British people what they really think it takes to be defined as posh. From language to the objects you own, there are a lot of key giveaways of your posh status such as belonging to a private members club or calling your parents “mummy” and “daddy”.
At least a third of people surveyed think going to boarding school make you posh, but only 13 per cent of people think knowing Latin makes you worthy of the title posh.
David Arnold from Perspectus Global, an insights agency, said it was an interesting list and the survey actually revealed not many people want to be posh.
He said: “The research reveals a really interesting list of what Brits consider to be posh in the modern age, yet interestingly only 22 per cent said they would like to be posh. Which shows most Brits are a happy bunch, without a family coat of arms or a wine cellar.”
These are the 40 things the study suggested you have to do in order to be considered posh:
1. You went to boarding school.
2. You own antiques and family heirlooms.
3. You have a wine cellar at home.
4. You own paintings of your ancestors.
5. You belong to a private members club.
6. You never discuss money.
7. You call your parents “mummy” and “daddy”, even as a grown-up.
8. Your family has a coat of arms.
9. You ride horses.
10. Your dinner parties are professionally catered.
11. You eat properly with a knife and fork (but never say the word ‘cutlery’).
12. You hire a gardener.
13. You say ‘supper’ instead of dinner.
14. You own family silver.
15. You send actual invites to parties in the post.
16. You have a family tree.
17. You shoot (clay or actual pigeons).
18. You go on skiing holidays.
19. You wear tweed.
20. You call everyone “darling”.
21. You play croquet.
22. You ask people “where did you school?”.
23. You call Champagne “Champers”.
24. You call the toilet “the loo”.
25. You drive an old Land Rover Defender.
26. You wear a Barbour jacket.
27. You know some Latin.
28. You have shelves full of books.
29. You eat partridge and grouse.
30. You call their friends by their second names.
31. You are good at small talk.
32. You have a double barrelled name.
33. You love cricket.
34. You wear a gilet.
35. You like rugby more than football.
36. You say “napkin” instead of “serviette”.
37. You laugh very loudly.
38. You own an Aga.
39. You prefer loose leaf tea to tea bags.
40. You live in wellies.
Featured image credit via E4