These couples prove young love exists

‘We get to go through the early growing stages of adulthood together’

Many put finding love on top of their priority list at an early age – very few however have much luck. On the other hand, some people feel they need time to find their own path and discover themselves before they can commit.

The idea of young love is romanticized and told again and again in every love story. In the troubled times of today, it is some kind of magic to see people whose fairy tales came true at an early age.

Corbin, 19, engaged to Alissa

Did you see yourself getting married at an early age when you were younger?

Throughout high school I did not see myself getting married, because I wanted to be a touring and recording artist. I didn’t think getting married would benefit me that much, but when I met Alissa and fell more in love with her, getting married started becoming more of a priority.

How have your friends and family reacted?

My family has reacted very well because they love Alissa and care about her like a daughter – they know how much she means to me. Most of our friends are surprised because we are very young, and most people today don’t think about marriage until later in their life, if at all. But we don’t really mind because we know we love each other more than anything.

Did getting engaged change your relationship with your single friends?

It’s been hard to connect regularly with my friends, because it’s hard to balance a committed relationship with school and work. But my close friends are still very important to me, so I try to keep up my relationship with them.

What excites you most when you think about getting married?

We are definitely excited to live together and start a new chapter in our lives. Having our own house is something that we both are looking forward to (when we have the money). But mostly we are excited to start our lives together and be fully committed to just each other.

Jessica, 19, married to John

I’ve always wanted to get married young, of course not unless it was to the right person. I always wanted to start my life and fulfill my purpose as a wife and eventually a mother, and experience it as soon as I could.

How old were your parents when they got married?

My parents also got married young. My mother was 17 and my father was 23. They’ve been such wonderful examples of love my whole life. It’s something I’m so grateful to have witnessed.

How did you feel about not being able to legally toast at your wedding?

It was odd having the eyes come down on us in terms of the celebration. Of course, everyone was more than happy to turn the other cheek and celebrate with us.

Did getting married change your relationship with your single friends?

Getting married hasn’t changed much with my friends. John’s currently away for boot camp for the marines, and my friends, rather than treating me as if I’m “unavailable” to have a good time, have done the opposite. They hold me close and only want to be better friends, which is such a blessing.

Are you eager to start a family?

I’m so eager to start a family, and furthermore, a big one. I’ve always aspired to have a large family. My grandmother had eight children, and the family has only grown larger and larger. I see my extremely large and close knit family all gather in tight corners for every single holiday. The look on my grandma’s face is most amazing thing I’ve gotten to see. One day I want to sit back like her with a beaming smile, and look at the beautiful family I created and think ‘I made this’.

What has been the most exciting thing about being married?

John and I have been through the worst of the worst, and the best of the best. The most exciting thing is getting to grow more into the individuals we are, and grow into the couple we will become. Who knows all the amazing adventures ahead of us.

What has been the most unexpected thing you’ve noticed about being married?

It’s been so unexpected seeing how selfless our love truly is. 10 days after our wedding John left for boot camp to fulfill his dream of becoming a marine. Never would I have thought letting him go would be so easy. Why? Because his dreams, just as mine, matter. After our wedding I realized that no matter where my wildest dreams took me, John would be supportive 100 percent. I hadn’t gone a day without talking to John in four years, down to no communication besides letter, and I miss him more than words can express. But to love someone so much, and let them leave to chase after their dreams, no matter where it took them, or what you’d have to face, that’s something truly amazing.

Kali, 19, engaged to Jake

At a young age I dreamed of my wedding day and the man I was going to marry. I spent hours “planning” my wedding in hopes that someday my dream would come true. However, as I grew older my schooling and future career became higher on the priority scale. I most certainly still dreamed of finding “the guy” but knew that would happen on God’s timing.

They have been extremely supportive. They are all excited to be a part of our future. Many of them think it’s great that we are starting this journey earlier in life, because we get to go through many of the early growing stages of adulthood together.

What excites you most when you think about getting married?

I am most excited for the fact that no matter how my day may go, I know that every evening I get to come home to a man who loves me unconditionally. He always makes my day brighter.

Are you eager to start a family?

We are definitely waiting until we are out of school. We each have two years left in our program.

Getting engaged made my relationships with my single friends stronger. Many have been eager to ask us questions and have conversations with us about our story.

So, dream on – as these young couples prove that young love does exist and can be found at the most unpredictable times even when you aren’t looking for it.