Editors: ‘We support The Daily Tar Heel’

The DTH is formally requesting sexual assault records from the university

A week ago today, The Daily Tar Heel requested access to the university’s public records on sexual assault, including records of “people found responsible for rape, sexual assault or misconduct by university entities.” The DTH set a deadline of October 28 for the release of records. If the request isn’t honored by that day, the DTH will file a lawsuit.

As editors of The Tab UNC, we would like to commend The Daily Tar Heel’s actions, as well as those of supporting publications, in their effort to hold the university accountable.

When it comes to uncovering the truth about sexual assault, all journalists at this university should speak with one voice: UNC’s lack of transparency regarding on-campus sexual assaults and how these assaults are handled is unacceptable.

The university has avoided fulfilling these public records requests, and says the release could potentially violate FERPA. FERPA protects students’ private information, but the public records the DTH and other media organizations are requesting will only include cases in which the perpetrator has been found guilty.

We believe this effort by our fellow journalists represents two ideals. The first is that the student body deserves full honesty and transparency from their academic institution. The second – it is our duty and our privilege as journalists to ensure that open information is available so that we are better able to inform.

We are so proud to be part of a community that upholds these standards.

The Tab UNC hopes to see the university release the requested records by the October 28 deadline.

UNC