Chancellor sends out mass email in response to Milo Yiannopoulos event

It was called ‘the relationship between freedom of expression, inclusivity, and civility’

For those of you that don’t use email (it’s a bit like texting) an email was sent out by Richard Edwards, (our chancellor FYI), in response to the Milo-event on Tuesday.

Whatever your thoughts on the event, Milo Yiannopoulos’ talk and subsequent protests had at least one good thing come out of it, it started a dialogue — and administration was rather quick to join in the conversation.

He pointed out that Rutgers is diverse and it is inevitable to have different opinions. Just because you don’t agree with someone, doesn’t mean you shut him or her up. Similarly, just because you have the freedom of speech, do not use it to spread violence, and hate. 

Students involved in protests will now face consequences. The Chancellor said:  “Through my conversations with students this week, it has been brought to my attention that the behavior and actions of some members of our community lacked the civility and respect we seek to advance.

“In addition, other concerning and disappointing communications were reported to have been made after the event on various social media platforms.

“Public Safety personnel were in attendance at the program, as they are for all large-scale events, and I have asked RUPD Chief Kenneth Cop to investigate any safety-related incidents that may be reported.

“The safety of our students is our highest priority. “

He added that engagement in open dialogue is vital to our growth as college students and global citizens.

The email follows the event on Tuesday when journalist Milo Yiannopoulos stopped at Rutgers as his first stop in the Dangerous Faggot tour.

Black Lives Matter and feminist protestors, who were against Milo’s disparaging comments to both communities, then interrupted the talk.

There were chants supporting Trump from the audience, along with the words “liberty” and “freedom”.

The entire email follows below:

Rutgers University