Image may contain: Poster, Collage, Table, Dining Table, Furniture, Chair

Where to get cheap furniture when you live off campus

A couch sounds great, right?

| UPDATED college guide

You're heading off-campus, but now you've got an empty apartment with no furniture. Obviously you can't afford to remodel the place like you're on HGTV, but you can still make it homey. You'll need basics like a bed, table, and chairs. Where do you get all that without spending the money that didn't go to first and last month's rent? Here's where to get cheap furniture to spruce up your space.

Check around town

If you can get some stuff for free, that's a major coup. Ask people who have been living off campus if there's anything they're willing to part with when they leave. Upperclassman are willing to throw a few freebies your way when graduation is getting closer.

Buy/sell apps are your friend

Download a few apps like LetGo, 5Miles, and of course, Craigslist. People are often willing to neogiate prices and you can limit your search to local areas. It can be a great way to get bigger pieces because you don't have to worry about shipping if you pick it up yourself.

College groups

If you're school has a Facebook group or online message board just for students, you can throw up a post asking if anyone has furniture they're looking to part with. You can get a ton of used stuff for free or ridicuously cheap.

Go retail for the important stuff

There's some things it's best to buy new. If you're really picky about your bed frame mattress, or couch, then it might be worth shelling out a few extra bucks, especially because you're going to use them everyday.

One trick to avoid paying high prices is to wait for holiday sales. We mean literally every holiday. There's sales on furniture for President's Day, the Fourth of July, and beyond. Pretty much pick a three day weekend and there's a sale. Also try checking out places where furniture isn't there main thing. Walmart, Target, and TJ Maxx all have surprisingly affordable stuff if you're willing to search.

A note about street furniture

You stumble upon the one thing you've been missing. It's just sitting on the curb waiting for the trash. Is it okay to take? We'd see if you can get home and then give it a real good inspection before bringing it inside. Try to find out how long it's been there and what condition it's really in. If there's even a hint of bugs or decay on it, put it back on the curb where it most definitely belongs. We'd also avoid used mattresses at all costs, but if you absolutely must, try and get it cleaned before sleeping on it. You can find mattress for as little as $79 that will get shipped to you in a box from Walmart.