Image may contain: Money

How to budget when you’ve moved off-campus & haven’t got a clue where to start

Bills, bills, bills

college guide

No more dorms for you! You've gone the off-campus route, which is a huge deal. There's tons of really great things about living on your own, but it also comes with some not-so-fun stuff. Now you've got to start allocating money for different things and it's probably looking a bit overwhelming. Before you go cross-eyed looking at all those bills, here's how to budget when you're living on your own.

Rent

Whether you've got roommates or not, rent is probably going to be the biggest part of your monthly expenses. You've likely signed a lease on this place so you have to pay rent month to month on time. If you've got roomies, discuss how the total is going to be divided up amongst you. The person who has the biggest bedroom should pay the most and those with equal bedroom space should pay the same.

Electric

Some buildings will add your electric bill into the rent invoice. In other buildings, you'll have to call the electric company to get things put into your name. Electricity is one of those things that you'll use everyday, but it's something you still have control over. When you're not using something or leaving the apartment, turn it off. It's little things that will ultimately save you cash. If you've got air conditioning, that usually falls under the realm of electricity so keep that in mind in the hotter months.

Heating & water

A lot of buildings include heating and water in your rent. It's another one of those things that's not safe to assume. You should check your lease and building to see. You don't want a surprise at the end of the month and find out you're on the hook for something you didn't leave money aside for in the budget.

Wifi

It's practically become a necessity over the past few years. There's a lot of decent deals out there that won't make it an astronomical part of your monthly budget. Do your research and find the plan that suits your needs best.

Cable

If you've got a TV in your apartment, you probably want to stay up to date on Game of Thrones. There's lots of streaming sticks out there like Roku, Amazon Fire, and Google Play are great options for people on a budget. You can pick and choose which channels and services you want to pay for like HBO Go, Netflix, and Hulu. If you're really trying to cut costs, don't get cable and stream exclusively from your laptop.

Food

This another area where you definitely have room to play around. We'd give yourself a ballpark of what you're allowed to buy each week. Focus on picking up food that will last long. Grab a few extra pieces of chicken that you can throw in the freezer and cook later.

Obviously you're going to want to eat out and order in. It's an expense, but you totally should! It's all about responsibily treating yourself. It's okay to order a huge meal, but try saving half for lunch tomorrow. You'll get two meals for the price of one and feel better about having dropped a little extra dough the night before.

Toiletries

It's one of those sneaky things that can send your whole budget out of whack with one trip to the pharmacy. Sadly, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, razors, and shaving cream are expensive! Try to buy in bulk so things last longer and it's less of a common expenditure.

Track your spending

The biggest leg up you can give yourself is not spending blindly. Keep track of where your money is going with a budget app, Excel spreadsheet, or just write it down. Making your self accountable and looking at the numbers will make you more aware.