Why I started a GDI clothing line for students who aren’t in Greek life

‘Greek people kind of bash on it’

A student tired of being called a geed has started a clothing line for GDIs (God Damn Independents).

Madison Woodruff, a rising sophomore at the University of Oklahoma didn't join Greek life and was sick of being asked what house she was in, so she made a stand by forming a clothing company called Rush GDI.

The t-shirts, which will set you back $25, say "GDI" on the front and "WHO NEEDS GREEK" on the back.

One of the first comments on the site's Insta says: "Lmao fuckin mad ass geeds," so it's safe to say some people in Greek life don't really get it yet. We asked Madison how it's going so far.

How did Rush GDI start?

I started going to UO this past fall. By the time I was ready to start school, I was like: "I make friends pretty easily, I don't need to rush, it'll be no big deal." I realized I'm a pretty outgoing person and it doesn't really bother me going up to people and asking to make friends. But what about the people who do go to college, want to make friends, don't rush and become social outcasts?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Greek system at all. I'm friends with tons of Greek people and those who aren't in the Greek system. It is totally not bashing them.

But I wanted to created a community for those people who felt like they went to college and feel like they're missing out on this big part of campus because they decided not to be a part of Greek life. That's where the whole idea started.

What has the reaction been like?

My friends and family are my biggest supporters. But some people in the Greek system don't really get it. They kind of bash on it. But the people who aren't in it do get my point of view. They've been really supportive of it.

What kind of negative comments have you received?

On social media you can see some comments that are like "What is this?" or "Is this real?" And I've talked to some of my Greek friends to hear their perspective. A lot of them are like: "Well you know, you're a freshman and you still go out to the houses with us, and hang out with Greek people and go to Greek parties. Now you have this company that says Who Weeds Greek, so why are you still friends with us?"

And I had to explain: "That's not what it's meant to be." You yourself don't have to go that route to make friends. I became friends with Greek people and didn't join the Greek system, and I also became friends with non-Greek people, who in turn all got to meet each other. I wanted to create somewhere people could broaden their horizons. That's what college is supposed to be about. You're supposed to get out of high school and become open to new things. And if you go straight out of high school school and into this big house and only have one group of friends, you're not being open to all of that.

What's it like being a GDI?

When you meet someone in a big college, they typically say is: "What house are you in?" I might seem like the type of girl who's in a sorority. But I say: "I'm not in a house." And then they say: "Oh, so you're a geed." From then on, they have a bad taste in their mouth. It's disheartening to have that experience over and over. People aren't willing to be your friend or get to know you based on that fact.

Once we graduate, we're not going to care what house we were in or what sport we played or any of things. We'll get older and grow out of it. If you're going to judge people on whether they were in a Greek house or not, it seems a bit silly to me.

Did you consider going Greek?

Right after I graduated high school, I did go to the sorority preview day. It's the day before you go sign up to rush. I went with an open mind to see what it was like. Even once I was at university, I considered doing spring rush just because you do kind of feel like you're missing out a little bit. You feel like maybe if I would have rushed, I'd have more friends. Or if people met me they wouldn't feel like they shouldn't be friends with me because I'm not in a house. I realized somewhere along the way, that's not me – it's them. If they decide they don't want to get to know me because I don't have a label, that's ridiculous.

Check out Rush GDI here.